Mum just been diagnosed with early stages of Alzheimer's. Any advice would be great

Shellh

Feb 5, 2015
Hi, I am new to this site and am hoping for some advice. My mum has just been diagnosed with the early stages of Alzheimer's. She turns 70 this year. My dad had a brain hemerage 30 yrs ago which left him with short term memory loss. Mum has always dealt with every day things with dad taking a back step. Mum is eligable for medication but has refused as she wants to try puzzles etc first. I am hoping for any advice on how to help my mum, what puzzles and other alternative therepies can help and if there are any changes to routines that can be of use.

Dad is trying to step up best he can but I know this will be a struggle for him. Is there any advice that I can pass on to him?

Many thanks in advance

Michelle

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hello Shellh and welcome to TP.

Please try to get your Mum to accept the medication offered, it may, it may not suit her re side effects but it would be well worth trying.

My husband was diagnosed at 62, was offered Aricept on diagnosis and took it. He too took up doing crosswords and puzzles, something he had never done before. We worked on the saying ' use it or loose it'. He enjoyed the word search puzzles best.

My husband continued to run his business and drive for a further 4 years and though not without difficulties we led a fairly normal life with holidays etc. I believe it was the medication that made this achievable and the puzzles were a hobby he had never had before.

I wish you luck with whatever your mother chooses and please use the members on here for advice and support for you as a carer. There will always be someone to listen should you need to have a rant, we all have and here is the safest place to do it.

Take care,

Jay

stu100

Feb 4, 2015
Birmingham
Hello when my nan was diagnosed about 2 years ago I didn't know what to do rember its herd for ur mom too. Talking to someone helps and just be there and it's really important to take time out for ur self.

emz_33

Oct 25, 2014
Hi Michelle,

I am in a similar position But my mum is 59.If you can persuade your mum to accept the medication that the doctor has suggested, it will be worth while. Also ask the doctor or the community nurse for information on each of the medication also gives you information regarding the possible side effects, I found this helps for family or carers. I found with my mum throwing and catching a ball helps, coloring in pictures ( I get them from the internet) There is some internet web sites that can offer things if you can have a look.

Good luck. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger