Mum is waking a lot in the night

Fredf

Feb 16, 2020
My mum has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s after a slow decline of memory , so I new to this forum. She wakes my dad about 6 times a night for a wee , she can’t stand or walk without frame & help . Sometimes she has a wee or just a short walk . A few times she’s already out of the bed before she wakes my dad , she’d forgot about etc & needs reassuring it’s her bedroom , he has to ring me to tell her as well it’s hers. She is on anti depressants as treated her depression before Alzheimer’s . She is 86 & very frail so her exercising is limited , is there anything we can do to help her sleep pattern , so to help my dad too . She is going to sleep at mine for 2 days this week to give my dad a break hopefully it won’t disorientate her too much . Thank you

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @Fredf and welcome to DTP
I hope you don’t find it too difficult when your Mum comes to yours to stay she is likely to be very confused
could you or your Dad have a word with her GP and see if a tweak with her meds could help settle her?
As you and your Dad are finding is is difficult caring has your Mum got Attendance allowance? May be you could start to introduce carers into your Mums routine?
i hope now you have found the forum you will continue to post for support

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Fredf and welcome from me too. I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

The advice given about a meds review with the GP is sound as I had great success with my wife's night time activities with that route. Some antidepressants are geared more towards sleep than others

I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done. There is also a Dementia Guide in the list.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Fredf
a warm welcome to DTP
I wonder, might you go to stay with your mum instead, and your dad stay at yours ... I only mention it as you are concerned goingbto yours may disorientate her ... it would also give you an opportunity to see how your mum is in her own environment

if she is waking so often, it may be time to look into some day care, respite care and begin to consider residential care ... so your mum has 24 hour support and your dad gets to sleep; his needs are important too, as you understand since you're doing your best to support them both

has there been an assessment of your mum's care needs by their Local Authority Adult Services, to have a care plan put in place

Fredf

Feb 16, 2020
hi @Fredf
a warm welcome to DTP
I wonder, might you go to stay with your mum instead, and your dad stay at yours ... I only mention it as you are concerned goingbto yours may disorientate her ... it would also give you an opportunity to see how your mum is in her own environment

if she is waking so often, it may be time to look into some day care, respite care and begin to consider residential care ... so your mum has 24 hour support and your dad gets to sleep; his needs are important too, as you understand since you're doing your best to support them both

has there been an assessment of your mum's care needs by their Local Authority Adult Services, to have a care plan put in place