Mum is reaching the end if her journey

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
I think it is important to offer food and drink, just in case your mum does "bounce back" - it can and does happen with dementia. Thought, TBH, from what you have said, I feel this is unlikely. I suspect that the carer is just trying to be upbeat.

So hard for you
xxx
Thanks Canary. I think you've hit the nail on the head. She is trying to be positive, but it's very much at odds with the other senior on mum's unit and the clinical lead in the home.

The problem with upbeat is that I want to cling to it and think that there's a chance mum could stay with us a while longer. That hope is probably unrealistic and I as much as I want to do otherwise I have to believe that it is her time to go and be with her mum as she always wanted, otherwise I'm doing my own mental health no good at all.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
This period is full of "what ifs" and "maybe Im wrongs", second guessings and fears. It is what it is. Try and accept the feelings, acknowledge them, but not hold onto them.

I do not think that its going to be much longer, though I could be wrong.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Hi @Lavender45 - my heart goes out to you, especially in these difficult times. Hugs from me too.
I think Canary has hit the nail on the head about the Carer trying to be upbeat. When my Mum was dying the same thing happened. I felt like saying 'I'm not stupid and I do not need this sugar coated - I have been dreading but working up to this moment since Mum was first diagnosed!'
Your description of Mum sounds so similar to mine at the end. Mum could not swallow, choked when it was attempted and could not even take oral meds. She was also 'out of it' with her mouth open and a very glazed, unseeing look in her eyes. She had had communication problems for ages, but was then totally uncommunicative.
It is such an awful time, you feel like the worst person in the world for wanting it all to finish and their suffering to end, but at the same time, despite everything you would give the world for a little while longer.
Much love to you both X

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Warning much pity me ahead.

Thank you to everyone who has been so kind. I guess I'm using this thread to let of steam. Canary wisely said I need to feel the emotions, but not hold on to them. I'm having trouble there. I'm not good at letting go of anything.

Away from talking point my friends have also been kind. They have called and texted and told me they are there for me, that I am not alone and that I can call anytime to talk. It's my insecurities at play, but to my mind I am alone and I feel their words are empty, so I pretend for my own sake to be much stronger than I am. I don't trust the caring words and I want to be a burden or a nuisance. I'm frightened to be reliant on them, to impose and expect too much in case they disappear. If only because I cannot voice any of this to them, they'd be horrified, I'm writing things here to let the feelings out at least a bit.

Poor mum. Not a lot of change today, the only thing is that she wasn't responding to staff or us today whereas yesterday she would at least respond to the staff. She's just lying there waiting and we, my cousin and I are waiting too. I am only there for a few hours a day. I cannot cope with more. I have no idea how people spend all day and night at their loved ones side. I feel bad, but I cannot do it. It's heartbreaking. The problem is that when I'm not there I want to be phoning to check on her every minute. I resist because it's unfair to tie staff up like that. If there's no change there is so little they can say and if there was a toss up between them answering my call or checking on mum I'd want them to go to mum every time so I do not make the call, or at least just in the morning to check how her night has been. Once a day to my mind cannot surely get in the way to much.

The staff will call me if she deteriorates when I'm not there. I'm terrified of that call. I really am a mess.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) @Lavender45

Sounding off is one of the things this forum is to be used for.
You are in the most difficult of times.
Dont compare yourself to other people - visit, or not, in the way that is right for you.
Phoning once a day is fine - the care home will understand, even expect, it.
Stay strong, there will be an end.

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
You were right Canary.

Mum passed around 4am this morning. We weren't with her. The home called just afterwards. We went in to see her and she looked peaceful. It's all I could want for her, she's escaped this horrible illness at last. I'm strangely calm for how. That might or might not last, who knows. At the end of the day I wouldn't wish her back for even a moment to live as she was.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im sorry for your loss @Lavender45 , but glad that your mum is at peace.
I felt the same after my mum died.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Thank you everyone for your kind words. Covid has been such a pain with so many restrictions on every day life, but it has speeded up the death admin process considerably. I couldn't go to see the undertaker, the funeral arrangements were made on the phone. The death was registered on the phone too. No waiting for an appointment to see them. An unexpected upside to covid.

Friends have texted saying how sorry they are and asking am ok? I don't know. I think I'm ok. I'm not the emotional wreck I expected to be. I tried to make myself cry, but couldn't. Over the past few days I sobbed at the drop of a hat yet now tears won't come. I wanted her to stay so much, yet now she's gone there's nothing. There's no mum and there's no emotion. It's a weird place to be and I suspect unhealthy feeling so emotionless. I'm sure it's better to cry than be dry eyed, but tears aren't coming right now.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
As Cat says there is no right or wrong way with grieving. I know it’s a cliche but you will have a rollercoaster of emotions. Tears will come at some point. You know that everyone is here for you. Keep posting - I’m sure it will help.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
oh @Lavender45 not unhealthy, not even emotionless, more wholly overwhelmed and yet needing to get things done so emotion damned up
I remember feeling that way when mum died, years ago, it hurt so much it numbed the hurt
I didn't really shed tears until a moment when I wanted to tell her something and picked up the phone but was caught by the realsation that she wouldn't, couldn't ever answer
your grief is yours, accept how it is for you, there's no timetable or given route

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear @Lavender45,

I am so sorry to hear about your dear mum.

Be kind to yourself now. You have done your mum proud.

I remember you and send my love

MaNaAk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBTC