Mum is out of control

xJaJax

Jul 8, 2019
Hi everyone,

Mum was officially diagnosed with dementia a few months ago after being in the hospital again and again.
She was put on Memantine and it seemed to make her worse, we spoke to the Dr's and suggested Donepezil after seeking advice from my friends that work in care homes with people who suffer Dementia. Started to see a change and in a few weeks, she seemed almost normal again, like the old mum we know. I then noticed her moods change, getting angry. I knew she had some kind of infection. I ended up calling an Ambulance a day or so later. She had a UTI and signs of a chest infection. I have seen the changes month after month. She went to A&E and was given oral antibiotics, they wanted to send her home that night, she was delirious, angry, a danger to herself and us.
Anyway, the upshot is for the last 2 weeks she has been out of control, angry, verbal abuse, threatening to claw our faces etc. She is a smoker and all she wants is cigarettes. She is abusing us as I type, she has no mobility and is trying to get out of bed, we have the crash mat out incase. She is out of control, we need some serious advice and help now before she does herself damage.

Thanks

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
Hi, sorry to hear you’re having a hard time.
Do you have anything like an Emergency Mental Health Access Team to contact?
if you don’t try a search of your local council website and there should be some directions of who to contact.
Failing that try the Alzhiemers Helpline tomorrow of an Admiral Nurse x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @xJaJax

This link might help you find local support.

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
This is the number for the National Dementia Helpline +03002221122

(the above Dementia Directory link wouldn’t open for me)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aliso