Mum is confused.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Mum is in respite just now, she went there from hospital over the Christmas holidays. I have been over to see her but i don't go everyday (have spoken to her on the phone)as she wants to come home with me and it upsets her when i have to say no you stay here as its only for x number of days, which she then seems to understand. I call the repite place everyday she is there to see how she is, they are very good at telling me how she is, you know the likes of she wandered into the wrong room, she had a bad night that sort of thing, which is more than what i normally get from her usually respite place. Anyway, i called this morning, they are trying to get a urine sample as they think she may have a UTI as she is a bit confused, she seems to have been more confused there than her normal place, now i don't know if thats because she has a UTI or the other place don't like to tell me she is confused or not settling, which leads me to think she must be unsettled/ confused at her normal place if she is unsettled/ confused at this one, then its a case of why don't they tell me which leads to the thought of what else are they keeping from me?

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Just an update, they still haven't managed to get a urine sample yet but they will keep trying, but i got a phone call from the respite place she is at saying mum wasn't too well whilst having her tea, she was complaining of pains in her chest and left arm, they called the Dr who said to give her more of her GTN spray (they had given her one lot already) which they did at 5 min interval,she now seems to be ok.
Going back to what i put in my original post would the other place she normally goes to have bothered to tell me, i doubt it?

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
It must be really reassuring knowing that someone is monitoring her properly 24/7. Let us know how she gets on.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
It is reassuring that they will let me know, but it makes me wonder if this is the place she should go for respite from now on and not the other place. She was at one place where she never got time to finish her food, it was removed if the residents hadn't finished it after a certain time, all i know is she has never been back to that place!
Watch this space.

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
What a worry for you Carabosse, at least it is this way round rather than the other.

Even when they're being looked after we dont stop worrying do we! Sounds like where she is now will keep you fully informed of what is happening. Which is very good.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Well thats what i thought of her first respite place and her usual one now i'm not sure, if i ask her will i find something wrong with her usual place like i did with the first... i know that sounds confusing but it isn't really!

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Went over to see mum, she and a few other residents were busy making pizza's she seemed to have a bit on her but she was happy. She is a bit more wobbly on her feet, so i suggested to her if she would like to try a zimmer frame, i explained she might not get the hang of it straight away but it would help her and prevent her from falling, here was me ready for the no i don't need one, when she said she would try it, so she did and she is like a duck to water! That brought a smile to my face.
I also asked if the nurse could sound her again as when she coughed i could hear the crepitations which suggests she might have a chest infection, so she is being put down to see the Dr on Thursday. What a nice place.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Another update, mum has a UTI a huge one, its loaded with everything at least that would explain the confusion.

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
oh thank goodness you have an answer to all the confusion Carabosse!

WIth regard the walking frame I found my gran was happy to use one when she genuinely felt dreadful but once better it got slung to the side again. lol

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I'm sort of hoping mum will stick with it, i'll just have to keep pointing out that without using one she is likely to fall and end up in hospital (which i know she doesn't like). Just wondering if i should buy her one for around the house or get from the district nurses?

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Just when i think things are going ok, i get a phone call from the repite place, mum has a chest infection (to go with her UTI) her breathing wasn't good so she is now in hospital!

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Sorry to hear your mum is in hospital and I hope they get her on the right antibiotics so she can get out soon. Just an idea about the Zimmer frame, tell the hosp she needs one and was using one at the home and ask tha thei physics or OTs give her one to use whilst in hosp. They normally let you take them away with you if there is an ongoing need.

Fiona

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Well it seems the respite place is more than capable of looking after her so she is going back there, so i'll call later and see how she is getting on. Poor thing i wish i could take both the chest infection/ UTI and suffer it for her as she has enough with the Alzheimers. I'll get onto the OT to see about a zimmer frame for mum, and maybe a commode but i'ld like to see if she would be ok using the bathroom first if i leave the lights on.

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
oh what an awful time you are having!

at least the respite home can have her back which will be much better for her than the hospital.

My thoughts are with you.

x

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Tell me about it, its exam time just now which isn't helping! Everytime she gets ill i wonder if 'this is it', the Dr had a chat about DNR, all i need to hear now i can't stop thinking about it.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Another update.... It seems mum has finished her antibiotics for her chest infection and is about to start ones for her UTI, yet she had the UTI before she had the chest infection. Anyway, the sample that was sent away came back stating the antibiotic trimethoprim is the one that will get rid of it, now wouldn't it have been simpler to give her that anyway since its the usual drug given for UTI's then if the results came back from the sample switch her over to the other one as she would have finished the first course by now? It basically means mum has had a UTI for a week or just over and no treatment for it!

tomkitten16

Sep 24, 2012
merseyside
hI sorry to hear you are having such a rough time and your poor mum.Don't know if this may help regarding UTI's. My mum was having constant uti's as she is unable to fully empty her bladder.The CH got their gp out and he has put her on 5ml trimithoprim every evening to keep the infections down if not totally away .Lorraine x