Mum is coming home

janed

Jul 28, 2005
cornwall
mum is asleep now, she has had quite a good day and has been awake much of the afternoon, she hasnt wanted more then one chocolate button to eat, and cant suck through a straw, so I have been putting water or juice into a 10ml syringe with a straw attached and putting it into her mouth, I press the plunger very slowly and mum sucks, that way she can drink tiny amounts, usually about 1/2-1ml at a time, in total she has not had more than about 10ml all day, but seems quite happy although a bit agitated at times, Alice and I try to keep her calm and peacefull, I am hoping she has a good night and another good day tomorrow. J

Carolann

Apr 19, 2006
Nottinghamshire
Hi Jane,
How are you - I hope things are still relatively calm and peaceful.
Just wanted to let you know I am thinking about your Mum and you and all the family at this time.
Take Care,
Carolann

Gill W

Jan 31, 2007
Co. Durham
Jane

I've just caught up with your posts, and I can agree with everyone, I feel like I'm in the same room as you.

What you are doing for your mum is beyond words, it's been an honour to read them. You have such dedication to your family, and I hope that you are all finding comfort within one another.

My heart goes out to you and your family, and I hope that your mum remains calm and peaceful.

God bless you all.

Much love and constant thoughts.

Gill
XX

lizbet

Feb 26, 2007
north yorkshire
terminal care

Am sure that you are doing the right thing for your Mum.

You will find that you will manage to all pull together , and will find it a wonerfull and worthwhile life experiance.

My mother was in a home but visited her every day, and stayed with her at the end she died in my arms, I loved her dearly, and am glad to have been with her at the end .

My thoughts are with you, keep strong for her sake. God Bless Lizbet

janed

Jul 28, 2005
cornwall
thankyou everyone for your thougts and good wishes.
Today I have been very tired, mum has been quite peacefull, last night wasnt too good, she seemed quite agitated at times and whatever I did didnt seem to help her. Today she slept a lot, an old family friend came over for most of the day which was lovely for me but she was quite upset seeing mum. Alice went with her father to see her other grandparents today, I'm glad she went as she needs some time away to reflect and de-stress, before she went I gave her a gold charm which mum was very fond of and a necklace to put it on, it is a little gold toy horse very pretty and sweet, she is wearing it on the necklace, this evening she was awarded a prize for excellence in archery, I was so proud to see her presented with her award and win some new equipment for the club, she looked tired and pale and I felt so proud of her for her achievements and for being such a special girl. I came home and mum had just woken, her breathing seems quite 'bubbly' I think she has some mucous in her throat which she cant shift, I propped her up and hopefully it will help her, I think I may sleep in my bed tonight as I'm so tired, its the room next to mums and I will set my alarm fore every two hours, I feel guilty but am so desperate for sleep and the girls will be home after school tomorrow and I need to be strong for them. I'm hoping mum has a good night tonight. J

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Jane

Sorry things are not so good today. I'm not surprised you're exhausted, you've taken on a huge task.

Your mum sounds as if she may have a chest infection, in which case you may need medical help.

I hope you manage to get some sleep tonight, you need to keep your strength up.

Thinking of you tonight,

Love,

janed

Jul 28, 2005
cornwall
Thankyou , the nurse is coming tomorrow so I will ask her advice re mums breathing, I must admit the thought of a chest infection had crossed my kmind, but her breathing was like this when she was in hospital and they said it was in her throat rather than chest and this does sound just like it did then, the district nurse is lovely and I'm sure she will advise me what to do, I have promised mum that she wont go back into hospital as she was so scared there but if it is a chest infection I dont know how we will treat it at home asn she wont eat or drink anything, will wait and see what the nurse says tomorrow, I feel guilty about sleeping in my own room but I do need to keep my strength up or I will be no use to mum or the children. Its at times like this that I wish I had brothers or sisters to share things with and wish that my father was alive (he died when I was 2) someone who would tell me what to do and how to cope with this, its very lonely and I done like to put too much on the children even Alice who is so wonderfull with her granny, she must be allowed to be a child and not given responsibilities and worry beyond her age. J

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Jane, don`t feel guilty about anything. Whatever you do is with your mother`s best interests at heart. If you need a good sleep in a proper bed, you should have it.
Thank you for the update, I have been worried about you and so have others.
Take care and I hope you get a better sleep tonight.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Hello Jane, I've just caught up with your thread. It's a good idea to get some serious sleep because you need to try and keep up your stamina through this and not forget to take care of yourself. Sending you love and very best wishes, Deborah

janed

Jul 28, 2005
cornwall
Mum passed away last night very peacefully in her sleep, I will post in more depth later or tomorrow but for now am spending time with my girls. J

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Ah jane: I am so desperately sorry. If it's any comfort, you gave your mother a peaceful end with the family that she loved, which is about all any of us can hope for.

Love

Jennifer

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Jane

So sorry your mum has passed away.

But how lovely for her and for you that she died peacefully in her sleep, with you caring for her, just as she wanted.

You must be feeling so sad, but also so proud that you were able to give her what she wanted.

With love and deepest sympathy,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Jane, all I can offer is my deepest sympathy and sincere condolences, to you and your wonderful family, on the loss of a truly loved mother, grandmother and sister.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Dear Jane,

I am so sorry to hear that your Mum has passed away but happy that she got her wish to die peacefully at home, surrounded by her family and the dogs :)

Your posts have made the last days with her sound so precious.

Love to you and your family.

Sue xx

Last edited:

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Dear Jane

What a wonderful daughter you have been, try and take comfort that mum was home with her loved ones for her final journey. Deepest sympathy to you all.

Love
Cate