Mum is coming home

janed

Jul 28, 2005
cornwall
Mum had a peacefull night, I slept on the sofa till 4am then in the chair next to her bed till about 7, the cat was on her bed all night and the 2 dogs slept on the floor, she woke at one point and Bruno put his head on the bed mum stroked him and said, 'I know you Bruno' then fell back to sleep, she is still asleep now but looks very tired and frail, I just have a feeling we dont have long now and to be honest it will be a happy release for her, but I may be wrong and the lure of chocolate may prove too much for her to resist! the children are coming to see her after school today, my eldest daughter is unable to come but hopefully will see mum tomorrow as she is very close to her, her brother and sister in law are coming over again this afternoon which is a great support to me and mum seems to be pleased to see John although she dosent realy recognise Muriel. The night time seems to be our special time for mum and I, its so peacefull and special then I dont know why, but that time seems very precious and calm.

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Jane

Not been on line for a while, bad back forces standing up typing – not the best.

What a very brave and special lady you are, your posts have moved me to tears, I am totally full of admiration for you.

I sincerely hope you have longer with mum than anticipated, you clearly both deserve this special time together.

I also hope all those visitors know where the tea pot is!! Take all the help you are offered, this will give you more time with mum.

Keep in touch when you can.

Love

Cate
xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Jane, another lovely post from you. Thank you so much for taking time to up date us.

I think you and your mum have touched the hearts of everyone on TP, through your special posts, special caring and special relationship. I hope you enjoy many more nights as serene as the one you described.

janed

Jul 28, 2005
cornwall
Thakyou everyone, mum is very peacefull, she is slipping away slowly,Ii can see a change in her from this morning, her brother (aged 89) is with her now and I have left them for some time on their own, Poppy the cat is still lying on her bed, now I think it just a case of waiting, the children should be here shortly to see her, I am just dropping droplets of water into her mouth to keep it moist and comfy, she dosent want to drink or eat so I am trying to keep her comfortable and peacefull, J

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Jane

Thank you for your post. I understand what you mean about the night times being special. It's so peaceful when everyone else is asleep, and there's just the two of you. The feeling of closeness is truly special.

You and your mum are in my thoughts and prayers.

Love,

Carolann

Apr 19, 2006
Nottinghamshire
Dear Jane,
I am pleased your Mum is peaceful.

When I read your posts I can just imagine your Mum in bed and her dog and the cats keeping her company and you being there to tend to her needs - it seems such a serene atmosphere.

You are doing a wonderful job, and it will give you great comfort I am sure that you did this for your Mum.

Take Care,
Carolann

janed

Jul 28, 2005
cornwall
mum seems to have rallied a bit, she was happy to see the children althought unable to really take much notice of them, my eldest daughter (15) is coming to see her a bit later, she is very upset but understands and just wants to see her granny in peace. the carers have just gone and left her clean and dry for the night, I'm going to sit with her for a few hours then have a sleep so I can be with her tonight. J

Tina

May 19, 2006
Dear Jane,

I've been following your story, and your posts about the time you're spending with your mum have moved me very much.
I, too, found night times peaceful. I used to sit with my aunty while she was being cared for in hospital with much kindness, care and compassion in her last days. I couldn't be with her when she passed away, but the days and nights before, when my uncle and / or cousin and I used to sit with her had much of the atmosphere you describe. It was the same when my gramps died, and my uncle. I know it's a difficult time, but I'm so pleased everything is calm and peaceful and mum is comfortable at home with you and your family and the cat and the dogs. Hard though it is, these are precious moments. Hope there are many more.

All the best to you and yours,
Tina

janed

Jul 28, 2005
cornwall
Alice my eldsest daughter is here now, she is upset buy pleased to see mum looking so peaceful, mum looked at her and said her name and now has drifted off to sleep, Alice is spending some time alone with her and wants to spend the night with mum and I she is a truly amazing girl, I am so proud of her, she loves her granny and although upset is not frightened of what lies ahead and just wants mum to be comfortable and at peace, I shall go in there soon and give Alice her supper then sit with them both. This could be our last night together but I dont think it will be, mum seems to have a few moments when she is quite alert and she has not deteriorated much this afternoon, I hope she and Alice and I still have a few good moments together left. J

janed

Jul 28, 2005
cornwall
It feels like I'm in slow motion, everything is going on around us, and we are here in a little oasis of calm and peace just waiting, J

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Jane, how lovely to have Alice with you. She sounds such a caring daughter -- obviously takes after her mum.:)

janed

Jul 28, 2005
cornwall
thankyou, she is a wondefull girl I'm sure mum is pleased she is here, mum had quite a peacefull night, her room was very crowded, I slept on the floor next to her bed, Poppy the cat was on the bed, Bertie mums large jack russell was snuggled up next to me and Bruno my labrador was trying to get as close to me as possible! It was very cosy to say the least! Alice slept on the sofa next door. mum woke several times and was shaking a bit, I just held her nad and smoothed her forehead or arm and whispered to her and she seemed to know i was there and calm down.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Jane. Your posts are more moving than anything I have read. I feel you are allowing us in to share this with you. It is a priviledge.

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
I echo Sylvia - you are giving us a wonderful priviledge in sharing this time with you. Thank you so much. I can picture you and your Mum and Alice and the animals all together in peaceful slumber - and it is a very touching vision. Your strength to do this very special care for your Mum is profoundly moving to all of us with elderly loved ones - be they parents or life partners or others. May your Mum continue to be peaceful in your little "oasis" until she is ready to slip away. Fondest thoughts: Nell

janed

Jul 28, 2005
cornwall
thankyou, she is a wondefull girl I'm sure mum is pleased she is here, mum had quite a peacefull night, her room was very crowded, I slept on the floor next to her bed, Poppy the cat was on the bed, Bertie mums large jack russell was snuggled up next to me and Bruno my labrador was trying to get as close to me as possible! It was very cosy to say the least! Alice slept on the sofa next door. mum woke several times and was shaking a bit, I just held her nad and smoothed her forehead or arm and whispered to her and she seemed to know i was there and calm down.

janed

Jul 28, 2005
cornwall
sorry managed to somehow post the last one twice!

the nurses have been, mum is now sleeping, she looks comfortable although she has got two little pressure sores, the skin is not broken and they dont seem to be giving her any pain. Yesterday I put on her finger her favourite ring, she has not been able to wear it for some time now as she had been hiding/losing her jewelry and I had not wanted her to lose this as it was a gift from my father, it had belonged to his mother and was made specially for her so is very precious to both of us, she was thrilled to have it on and kept looking at it and smiling, I had to put a small gold ring on to keep it from falling off. I'm sitting beside her with Bertie at my feet, Bruno is lying on the floor on the other side of the bed, and Alice is in the sitting room, all is calm and quiet. J

Its realy helping me to write on here, and it will give me fond memories to look back on when mum has slipped away from us.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Jane, whatever happens and whenever it happens, your mother will live on in these posts.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Jane, I'm so glad it is helping you to write this, because we feel very privileged to be sharing this time with you. I loved the picture of you, your mum, and your pets all cuddled up in the same room. So moving!

Love,

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peej