Mum is coming home

janed

Jul 28, 2005
cornwall
Thanks, Mum arrived a short while ago, I have made her comfy and she has had a few sips of water, both dogs went absolultey mad with delight at seing her and she told them off for being naughty! I have left her to rest now looking out of the window at the trees and sunset, she has a smile on her face and seems content and relaxed. I'm just in the next room so I can hear if she wants me, I feel she needs some time to herself to adjust to being home and rest, dogs now on sofa with me, everything is peacefull for the time being. J

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I' so glad your Mum has got her wish to come home. I am thinking of you and your Mum. Hope things go well.

Keep us posted.

Sue

graham

Apr 23, 2007
London
My Dad died April 1st after 7 years of Alzheimer's and one enormous comfort was that we were able to have him at home

To have been round the bed in a hospital would have been very different

We knew he only had days so it may be a bit of a differnt situation than with your Mum (he also had bowel cancer - which is what killed him) but actually even tho we were advised to keep him in hospital apart from providing the drugs they wouldnt have done anything we couldnt do ourselves at such a late stage in his life

And his needs were relatively easy as all of us had taken our share of changing him for several years (we were no longer feeding him) so I hope you find this with your Mum - its all pretty do-able

I would have happily had him there forever but as we all know thats not how it works

I feel really happy to read your thread as it brings back such traumatic but very prescious time I had with Dad at the very end and I know you will take great comfort from having her home later on

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
janed said:
Her room is all ready and looking lovely, I brought some hyacinths in pots and a bunch of freesias as they smell nice, and a lovely soft fleecy cream blanket for her bed, so now I just have to wait for the ambulance to arrive with her, even the dogs are excited as they seem to know someting is happening, I know they will be so pleased to see her and she does realy love them, they are so theraputic and comforting for her and a bonus of this new bed is that it can be put down realy low so she will be able to stroke them easily, I expect the cat will sleep on her as she did last time and mum loved the fact that during the night she had the cat on her bed for company!

Im not expecting the next few days to be easy but I have good friends and neighbours and Mum deserves to be at home.

Jane, as I type this tears are flowing. Your joy at having your Mum at home for her last days and the lovely thoughtful preparations you have made are just so heartwarming to read! Thank you.

Thinking of you and wishing you strength, courage, grace, humour and all the things you need to undertake this wonderful task you have chosen. You are truly an inspiration. Nell

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
hope nobody minds but I will continue to post

Oh I am sure no one would please keep sharing , what courage you show , I know of only one person who done that and her mother had cancer and they gave her a hospital bed like your mother got , what a lovely peaceful ending for your mother , so why not for a mother who has dementia, must add mind you am really sorry to have read of your mother fall in respite , did not no that a person with dementia Can go down so fast in they heath with a fall , your mother room sounds lovely thank-you for shareing

janed

Jul 28, 2005
cornwall
Mum had quite a peacefull night although she was awake quite a bit, I went in twice and she was pleased to see me. the carers have just gone, mum is washed and in a clean nightie, we have put her lovely soft blanket under her duvet for comfort, she is very sleepy now and has had just a sip of drink so I am going to leave her to sleep for a while before giving her some 'breakfast' I will try giving her a bit of porridge as this is what she had in hospital but dont hold out much hope for it being eaten so will then giver her a homemade yogurt smoothie and maybe a little mousse or something sweet. she is sleeping now with the cat lying on her bed and her teddy next to her. J

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Jane, your mother is blessed to have you. She must be a very special person to have brought up such a wonderful daughter.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I will try giving her a bit of porridge

My mother breakfast was corn flakes or porridge , now its always porridge made very milky smoothly , so you have a cat and a dog , how do they get on ? as I would love to get a cat , but don't know if my dog would like it And my daughter wants to get a mouse , her last mouse use to get on with our dog , but mouse died 2 years ago

your mother is blessed to have you
She sure is

Last edited:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Jane, your post is so moving. Your mum sounds so comfortable and peaceful, you would never have been able to achieve that atmosphere in hospital.

Praying for you all,

Love,

Carolann

Apr 19, 2006
Nottinghamshire
Hi Jane,
Just felt I had to check this morning and see how you and your Mum were, I thought about you last night and hoped you would both have a restful night.
My Mum died in October last year, she had been in hospital, but she was allowed back to her Care Home as the hospital could not really do any more for her. (I still think hospitals have not got it right when they are caring for Demetia patients on a General ward - it is a nightmare for the Dementia patients, other patients and families - that was my experience).
Mum lived for 3 weeks after returning to the home. She refused all liquids,food and medication - really she starved her self to death. The Nursing Home staff were wonderful to Mum and all the family and it was the next best thing to having her home.
I am not saying it is going to be easy for you over the next weeks, but who knows your Mum may pick up now she is home. Whatever the outcome I echo the words of others who say she has a wonderful daughter and of course you have a lovely Mum.
I sat with Mum for the whole week before she died, just snatching a few hours at home here and there, and this may sound strange, but I count it a privilege to have been with her when she died - and I miss her so much.
Please keep posting - and remember you have loads of friends on TP travelling the journey by your side.
I am thinking of you and your Mum.
Take Care,
Carolann

janed

Jul 28, 2005
cornwall
Well Amazing news!!! she is sitting propped up in bed eating chocolate!! she asked for coffee and has eaten 3 pieces of galaxy caramel bar, a mini jaffa cake and half a custard cream!! this is more than she has eaten for days, Mum is quite alert and her dog Bertie has been sitting on the chair next to her bed trying to scrounge chocolate which is making her laugh! yes laugh!! This is so amazing, I am just hoping we can have a few good days like this, it will be lovely for the children to see her like this she is so peacefull and content, .................Mum is now alternatng nibbles of custard cream and jaffa cake both dipped in milk, Lovely!!

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Jane, that's wonderful! Proof that you did the right thing in bringing her home. Let's hope the improvement continues.

Love,

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hello Jane
I have just caught up with your thread
t is so heartwarming to read what you are doing....
Just want to send you my love
Love Wendy xxx

janed

Jul 28, 2005
cornwall
Just typed a reply and somehow lost it! mum is peacefull, she saw her brother today and had several periods of being quite responsive, I am hoping we have a good night again. thanks for your support. J

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
There are gremlins at work on TP Jane. All the `hugs` have been going haywire and so have the `smilies`.
Glad you had a good day.