Mum is being financially abused by carer

DIYGirlz

May 11, 2021
Hello I am new here and looking for advice please. My Mum has dementia; I have PoA for health and finances. My Mum is now in a care home and my Dad remained at home until sadly he passed away. He was mentally fine but physically incapacitated due to several strokes. My parents carer controlled their money, despite my having PoA. I live at the other end of the country so I'm not on hand. I recently discovered that literally thousands of pounds had been withdrawn in tranches of £300, often amounting to £2000 in a week, and appears to have been ongoing some time even after my dad passed away. I confronted the carer who said my dad wanted her to have the money. I don't think he was aware of the extent of this because he asked his NHS nurse to buy him everyday items as he thought all his money had been spent on my mum's care. I am wondering where I stand legally because the carer used my mums bank card to withdraw cash (although it was a joint account with my dad) . I gave her no authority to do this. It's all a mess, I'm emotional and just wonder if there is anyone else who has experienced this.

AwayWithTheFairies

Apr 21, 2021
I don’t have direct experience of something this severe but I want to offer some support until someone better comes along! How awful for you and what a terrible impact on your mum.

This sounds to me like you need legal advice. The police should probably be involved but if it wS me I’d start maybe with Citizen’s Advice Bureau. The sooner you do that, the sooner you will be able to feel better, that’s my experience anyway.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
@DIYGirlz, welcome to Dementia Talking Point. That sounds a total nightmare and I hope you've now blocked your mum's card at the very least. I'm sure others who have experience of this will be along shortly but I would phone the police as this is a criminal offence. Was the carer employed by a company, as I would also contact the company and let them know what is going on?
Maybe it might be an idea to contact the Dementia Connect support line: 0333 150 3456 or dementia.connect@alzheimers.org.uk tomorrow and ask their advice.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Agree see CAB.
Bear in mind that when your dad died the joint account became a sole account in your mum's name, none of the money belonged to your dad.

Although it can be argued that your dad with capacity was free to give money to the carer (this was most likely not allowed if they were working for an agency) this informal arrangement came to an end at his death.

The carer was taking money out of your mother's account without permission.

Last edited:

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
There are a number of potential issues here including bank rules on use of cards by third parties, possible fraud, a carer accepting or helping themselves to 'gifts' in breach of agency rules, and (as your mother was not in a position to give her permission) acting without the permission or knowledge of the account holder. Saying that your dad wanted her to have the money doesn't seem to justify the carer in taking the actions that you describe.

It is a complex matter and the above are just my initial thoughts as a layman. Some or none of what I have said may be relevant. You really need to obtain a qualified legal view based on all known facts @DIYGirlz

Last edited:

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
who gave The carer the pin number to use the card?
Was your father aware of the card usage?

How long had it been going on?
Did you as POA not notice this was happening via bank statements?