Mum is 93 and declining rapidly!

poppywillow

Mar 29, 2015
I am new to this forum - my Mum is 93 this week - physically ok (other than AMD and some deafness) but has had memory problems for the past few years. Recently, however, she has been getting much worse - doesn't seem to retain information for more than a few minutes. Both her parents had dementia - her Mum had Alzheimers, her Dad had Vascular dementia. I have never asked her to see the GP about this as I worry that she will think she is going the way of her parents. Now, however, I feel that some medical input is required - is there any point in trying to persuade her to see her GP? Or can little be done?

tony197100

Mar 29, 2015
I am new to this forum - my Mum is 93 this week - physically ok (other than AMD and some deafness) but has had memory problems for the past few years. Recently, however, she has been getting much worse - doesn't seem to retain information for more than a few minutes. Both her parents had dementia - her Mum had Alzheimers, her Dad had Vascular dementia. I have never asked her to see the GP about this as I worry that she will think she is going the way of her parents. Now, however, I feel that some medical input is required - is there any point in trying to persuade her to see her GP? Or can little be done?

Hi I don't want to sound negative but at 93 she is doing quite well,and answer to you question they cannot or will not do anything with alzheimers I know my dad died last month aged 72 its a very degrading disease.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
The most they would probably do is to prescribe something to slow the progress of the disease. However these are not guaranteed to make much difference, although some people do find they help quite a bit, and they don't suit everybody.
Seeing the GP might well lead to all sorts of visits to sundry clinics and tests, which might prove to be humiliating or distressing for her. So it's a question of weighing up the pros and cons. I don't think I would have put my mother through tests and visits to clinics at that age, but everyone is different and this is of course bound to be a personal decision.

Pottingshed50

Apr 8, 2012
Welcome to Talking Point. I agree with others here that at 93 your Mum is doing wonderfully well. I think of 93 as 'cracking on' rather than old or the word I hate elderly. Bless her , if at 93 you cannot be a little forgetful then God help the rest of us. I am almost 70 and often have lapses of memory, it comes with territory. I expect like others and myself you go upstairs and get there and wonder what the duce have I come up here for. Likewise with peoples names etc.

If she lives on her own just keep an eye on the important things like - using the cooker for instance. We got to a stage where this had to be turned off completely and the microwave (oh that poor microwave, talk about 9 lives) as she regularly blew that up.

Be there for her, which you are obviously doing.

poppywillow

Mar 29, 2015
Thanks everyone - I think you have confirmed what I felt - that at 93 she really could do without having to have lots of tests etc done. Great to have input from people who have been there!

poppywillow

Mar 29, 2015
Further to my previous posts - Mum was 93 today and seems even more confused. To cap it all her gardener rang me to say that he feels she is 'vulnerable'. She had given him money without seeming to be sure who he was, although he has been doing her garden for years. I feel guilty now that I haven't done more to persuade her to see the GP. She said today that she had meant to have a shower but 'forgot' - I am wondering if she also forgets to eat as she is losing weight.
Her TV wasn't working properly so I set up a new one though she says she hardly watches it - as she has poor sight due to AMD, TV is her only pastime. She says she sleeps most of the time as the TV is 'boring'. I feel that, perhaps against my better judgement, I need to make an appointment with her GP - I would feel terrible if it turned out that she could be helped with medication. Thoughts?

CeliaThePoet

Dec 7, 2013
Buffalo, NY, USA
Poppywillow, I'd suggest that before you involve the GP, that you get a real sense of what your mom needs. Could you spend a day and night with her? See if she is eating, taking another meds, what she does about bathing, clothing, etc? Is she wandering? Meds don't usually give a person much back, though in some cases they can slow a decline. If she does have a form of dementia, a decline is almost inevitable over time. She may be able to stay on her own with more support, but this too might be temporary. At any rate, get a sense of the situation and her needs so that you can properly report to the doctor, as it is unlikely your mom's report will be very accurate, and not much can be learned from a physical exam.

Best of luck.

poppywillow

Mar 29, 2015
Poppywillow, I'd suggest that before you involve the GP, that you get a real sense of what your mom needs. Could you spend a day and night with her? See if she is eating, taking another meds, what she does about bathing, clothing, etc? Is she wandering? Meds don't usually give a person much back, though in some cases they can slow a decline. If she does have a form of dementia, a decline is almost inevitable over time. She may be able to stay on her own with more support, but this too might be temporary. At any rate, get a sense of the situation and her needs so that you can properly report to the doctor, as it is unlikely your mom's report will be very accurate, and not much can be learned from a physical exam.

Best of luck.
Thanks - my brother is going to be staying with her for a few days in 3 weeks so should get an idea of how things are..

velocity

Feb 18, 2013
North Notts
Hi Also perhaps to check for any infections ie UTI's or that medications (if your Mum is taking any) are being taken or are still effective.:)