mum in law

rose .d

Sep 28, 2005
oxford
Hi ,my mum in law was diagnosed about 6months ago ,my 2 sister in laws are the 2 main people who care for her ,her husband has cancer & is an ill man so hes not really understanding whats going on,they are not coping to well & dont really understand how to handle the illness,ive read a bit on Alzeimers & have tried to tell them what ive read,there are lots of raised voices & frustration,i am only able to have them 1 day a week so they are the ones trying to cope ,they ask there GP for help but nothings happend,we (the family) really need to understand more as to what will be expected of us, if any one knows a group in Oxford we could attend i would be greatful,sorry to go on this is my first real post,
Thanx Rose

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Rose,

Welcome to Talking Point.

There are details of local branches in your area on the main Alzheimer's Society web site - the link below should take you there:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Your_local_branch/Regions_and_Branches/area_centralwest.htm

The Society also has a wide range of Factsheets on many aspects of dementia. You can get to them from the link on the top left of the page or more directly:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Facts_about_dementia/factsheets.htm

When my father-in-law was diagnosed our family found that getting a Social Worker involved was one of the most helpful steps. She has helped to make sure that my in-laws were getting the benefits that they were entitled to (attendance allowance for example) and arranged for outside carers to come in twice a week to help my mother-in-law out.

Your GP should be able to make the referral to Social Service or you can ring them up directly yourselves. I wasn't quite sure where to start myself so I just rang up Social Services and was directed to the Older Persons team. It took about 4 weeks for the actual face-to-face meeting to take place. They usually do have a backlog so it is better to get the ball rolling as soon as possible.

Take care,

Sandy

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Rose and welcome. You have already started your learning process by joining TP. We will all be here to support you as best we can. Love She. XX