mum in hospital

jrich

Mar 26, 2014
Northamptonshire
On thursday of last week mum had a fall but fortunately didnt need to go into hospital but she was diagnosed with a UTI this is my first dealings with this.Mum seemed happy but mums conversation made no sence, she was prescribed anti biotics so I was hoping things would improve, she did seem a little better on the friday and was eating better, all was ok on sat and then I went down on sunday morning and she had had another fall and was sdmitted to hospital fortunately she hadnt broke anything.But she still has a UTI she is dehydrated.Mum is 91 and lives in a flat on her own.she is not very stable on her feet.This may sound sellfish but I am happy that she is in hospital because I kmow she is safe, everyday I would go down and didnt know what to expect.I just hope that the hospital doesnt send her home before she is ready there are things that need to change at her flat that need to change before she comes home. I am so glad I have joined this forum it is good to vent your feelings.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Ask to meet the REACT team when they visit Mum and remember being "fit for discharge" doesn't mean the discharge can happen as the hospital has a duty of care to facilitate a safe discharge.

As she is in hospital, the REACT team can arrange for an OT to assess Mum, you can have an input into what you believe she needs, chairlifts, wetrooms, perhaps just grab rails, it will be assessed on mum's needs to keep her safe in her own home. I would ask the nurse to ensure you get a call when REACT are coming and ask if you can be there.

They've always let me be there and often ask me to come in if there are meetings I am not aware of.

Any problems that you are not happy with ask to see someone from PALS at the hospital they are there to support you and Mum.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi
You don't sound selfish at all far from it.

My Mum suffered from UTI's and often needed a second course of Antibiotics to completely clear it up. When Mum had her first one, I was both amazed and appalled how much worse mums dementia seemed .
It did take a while after the infection had cleared up before Mum improved .

I see Noorza has already mentioned the REACT team
Here is,one,of our factsheets on here it's about hospital discharge. Sorry it is a bit of a read, but it is important to know what procedures the hospital SHOULD follow before they discharge a dementia sufferer . As some hospitals just do their normal routine discharge, that is suitable if it were you or I, but definitely not suitable for one with dementia.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/services_info.php?serviceID=63
please let us know how you get on

I hope Mum recovers quickly

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba