Mum in Hospital

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
Had almost the day from hell today, Dad phoned not feeling well, so called for Dr to come out to him, went round there at 9am to wait for Dr, then got phone call from carehome saying Mum had been taken to hospital with chest pains and could I go down there as there maybe decisions to be made, Help,I thought, I cannot be in two places, so had to go to my sisters place of work, which I could not for the life of me remember the name of Playgroup she worked for, fortunately I knew it was in a community centre, so Police helped me find which one it was. Got Sis back to Dads to sit with him to wait for Dr then drove to hospital. Mum already being seen by Dr and had ecg and blood pressure, blood tests done, didnt look too bad but blood pressure was 220/100 so they decided to keep her in and gave her some drug to bring blood pressure down fast it was some infusion thing. Anyway once they left us on our own groundhog day started, Where amI, why am I here, I want to go home, wheres my HUsband, Dad, Mum, nobody has been to see me yet ahhhhhh every 2 minutes like the tape had got stuck, she was shouting let me go home, someone sort me out, irritatingly I could hear some of the nurses laughing about it behind the curtain. I nearly went out there to say ok I will go home and you can deal with her then you wouldnt be laughing :mad: but I decided Mum was already making enough of a scene so perhaps I shouldnt add to it. Finally we got taken to a ward, staff seem nice, I explained about Mums dementia and the nurse said that the home had sent a detailed booklet about Mum and her life history, so I was pleased with that, settled Mum who still wanted to go home and finally got home about 7pm, I feel shattered and stressed, hopefully tomorrow will be a better day ;) Thanks for letting me rant xx

Ange

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I would never defend unproffessionalism or inappropriate use of humour and whilst I don't know what was said, or the context, I would rather a nurse who can laugh than one who bitches and we've met both throughout mum's illness, 20 years down the road it's not surprising.

A sense of humour is the one thing that stops me from snapping. I know it could be insensitive, I know it made you feel worse but I'd have to wonder if it helped them cope and be able to be nicer to your Mum.

I know one day Mum was seeing green frogs on the bed, the nurse said "if you catch it, kiss it, and see what it turns into", Appropriate humour works, inappropriate humour doesn't.

Hope your Mum is better soon.

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
I agree with you Noorza, I think I was just feeling a little sensitive at the time, glad I didnt go and have words with them, I know they have a very difficult job and I do appreciate them very much, it really was just the situation I was in as I said the ward staff were very nice so no complaints, thanks for your kind wishes x

Ange

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read about your mum and dad Ange. I hope they're ok.

I'm sorry but I wouldn't have been able to cope with laughing nurses. Totally unprofessional. Well done for keeping calm.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandrah1952