Mum in Hospital

sonia owen

Hi All,

Myself and mum were going out to get our hair cut on Friday. Mum said she was feeling breathless, it seemed to be very hot in her flat, it didn't make it any better opening the windows. Just seemed to be no air.
We just got outside of her sheltered flat and she collapsed, in to my arms. Thank goodness a lady was passing and was able to help me. Rang 999 and went with her to hospital.
She has pneumonia and a clot in her lungs from the x- ray they gave her. They have to give her a CT scan, but can't at the moment, as she is on oxygen and has 3 drips giving her medications etc.

I am so glad I was with her when it happened. I gave the nursing staff the booklet with mum's picture on the front called This is Me, which I filled in all about mum, her Dementia etc.
Its a worrying time at the moment, but I am sure with plenty of care, time and love from the family she will come through this illness.
Love Sonia xxxx

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Sonya I have been there so many times and somehow mum keeps coming back to us. I know it's worrying but they would have treated her for the clot since Friday so that's a good sign. Hang on in there, and wishing you all the best.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Sorry for the news Sonia

What a good idea to give them the This is Me info. Try to keep us posted if you can.

Take care
Love from Lyn T

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I'm sorry to hear about your mum Sonia, I hope she is feeling better soon,
what a good idea abut the booklet ,

Jeany x

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Sonia, thank goodness you were with your mum when she collapsed. I hope your mum makes a good recovery.

turbo

cab

Aug 17, 2013
la la land
So sorry to hear about your mum and I do hope she gets better soon

Can I ask where you got the booklet for your mum from as it sounds llike something I could get for mine and that way it might cut down on the confusion whenever she goes into hospital as that is very frustrating as they just take what she tells them as fact :(

sonia owen

Booklet

Hi, Thanks for your good wishes for my mum's recovery.
Cab. I was given the booklet by my local Alzheimer's support group. I filled it in with a pencil, so I am able to change things and comments about mum if I need to. It has her dislikes, what she likes to do and what is wrong with her.
It can save so much time, when the staff change over shifts.

Love Sonia xxxx

sonia owen

Sorry Nita

I have just read my thread again. Sorry it should have said the x-ray that was taken of her chest showed a clot. Sorry I have been at 6's and 7's since it happened.

She is still having to wear the oxygen mask, and having her drip medications. Having injections in her stomach to try to help get rid of the clot. She seems ok in her spirits, but she is very weak. Can't really get to talk to any doctors as such, with it being a bank holiday weekend. Should know more on Tuesday, after a few days of treatment.
Thank you for your best wishes and concerns.
Love Sonia xxx

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Hallo Sonia, how is your Mum now? How is she coping with the distress of being treated for the clot, whilst having dementia as well?

Coincidentally, my Mum had an ultrasound today of her leg and she has a DVT. Her leg is swollen so it was suspected. She is being given rivaroxaban. They don't want to give her warfarin because of all the blood test checkups. I hope she isn't being used as a guinea pig.

I have just read my thread again. Sorry it should have said the x-ray that was taken of her chest showed a clot. Sorry I have been at 6's and 7's since it happened.

She is still having to wear the oxygen mask, and having her drip medications. Having injections in her stomach to try to help get rid of the clot. She seems ok in her spirits, but she is very weak. Can't really get to talk to any doctors as such, with it being a bank holiday weekend. Should know more on Tuesday, after a few days of treatment.
Thank you for your best wishes and concerns.
Love Sonia xxx

Vesnina

Aug 25, 2013
I am grateful for the information on the booklet. I found one here
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/download_info.php?fileID=1604

I used to carry around, and my mother has one with her all the time,
a copy of some of her documents, contact numbers of me and her son,
as well as her physician, thi list of her medications with timetable,
and main case histories, if this is the term...

I wrote instructions for the carers - habits, food, places of things in her place..

Very very best wishes, dear Sonia!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513