Mum in hospital - Very Poorly

Rheme

Nov 23, 2013
England
Mum was admitted to hospital on Friday. The nursing home were unable to get her to eat and found her unresponsive. She is still not eating apart from the smoothies I take in which she eats really quickly (I am managing to get her to take 1/2 a litre a day). I cannot understand how I can get her to eat yet others can't.

The doctor in A & E told me that her ability to cough up the mucus in her airways has now gone due to alzheimers and there is nothing they can do. She has a really bad chest.

I think the end may not be far away for her as she is really weak (hope I am wrong). I took her some ear phones in today so she can listen to the radio. The tv is not an option as she is blind. The consultant is seeing her tomorrow. It is a year on 12 November since dad passed away and this is all proving difficult to deal with.

In the past despite being so ill she has always managed to eat but this is so different.

I just love her so much.

Last edited:

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
I feel for you at the present very painful time for you. Your mum is so ill and that is compounded by the anniversary of your dad's passing. The first anniversary is the hardest.
Could you mix fortjuices with the smoothies to give extra nourishment?
Your mum is probably taking drinks from you more readily as she feels such deep love for you and therefore reacts well especially for you even if she does not know the relationship anymore.
I so hope your mum gathers some more strength in the coming hours/days. My thoughts are with you.

Aitchbee

Nov 3, 2013
Thinking about you and your Mum. I hope that she gets the care she needs in hospital

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
I echo what Oxy says, Rheme. I am so sorry that your mum's situation is so bad and I am sure she is feeling the love that you have for her inspite of being so poorly. I send loving thoughts for you both. X:)

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Rheme I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum. Probably you are managing the fluid intake better than others because she recognises your voice. I'm so sorry this is happening round the time of your Dad's passing, it must be very hard for you.

Take care

Lyn T

VickyG

Feb 6, 2013
Birmingham
So sorry to hear how poorly your mum is Rheme. Maybe she knows it's coming up to the Anniversary of your dads passing ?
Sending you strength at this very difficult time x

Rheme

Nov 23, 2013
England
Hi All,

Mum is still in hospital and is eating and drinking but only a little bit. I still manage to get my home made smoothies down her every day.

Mum is asleep most of the time and even when I am there (I am the only person in the family who she still responds to) only just manages to rouse herself. Her chest x-rays were inconclusive although she is quite chesty so they are treating her with antibiotics.

Mum is losing weight now - I can tell when I stroke her face and her bones are becoming more prominent.

It is the first anniversary of dad's death on Wednesday and I am absolutely dreading it.

Thank you for your posts and support it is appreciated as I am really struggling.

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
So Sorry to read that you are struggling so Rheme. Please do lean on us here. How lovely that your mum still enjoys the smoothies you make and bring especially for her. Whatever you can do, how ever little that appears to be to you, will remind her how much you love her and she will know this, even if at just a subtle level. My love and admiration Rheme. X:)

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I'm so sorry Rheme, and what a horrible time to be going through this on the anniversary of your father's death. As Rathbone says, please lean on us here.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
I'm sorry to read this Rheme. Such a hard time and also dealing with the loss of your dad.

Try to take every day as it comes and try to get some rest (easier said than done I know).

Thinking of you xxx

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
So sorry your poor Mum is so poorly but I hope the hospital is making her as comfortable as possible. Your Dad would be so relieved that your Mum has you to care for her at this difficult time. Apologies if this is an upsetting thought, but at least he has been spared the distress of seeing her so poorly.

Wishing you strength to get through this painful period, I do hope you are able to get some rest. Take care.

Rheme

Nov 23, 2013
England
Hi All,

Been to see mum again tonight and the position is pretty much the same. I am on holiday for the next few days and have asked the hospital for open access to mum as I want to be with her (think it will help me cope with the anniversary of dad's passing). Mum won't know as she can't remember he died. They have said yes. Fantastic - it has really lifted my spirits.

You are right Gigglemore dad would not have coped with not only seeing mum like this but he has also been spared all her health challenges during the past year .. and there have been lots. He would not have coped with it.

They were married for almost 60 years and were real Darby and Joan. Dad was deaf so mum was his ears and mum is blind so dad was her eyes. They made a real partnership and it was lovely to see them cuddling on the sofa or walking hand in hand. They absolutely adored each other.

Once again thank you for your support.

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
What a lovely image Rheme. Enjoy the special time you will have with your mum and know that your dad is close by in love. Take care of yourself. X:)