Mum in hospital again

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
So after all the dramas of last year prior to care home admission, my mum is in hospital again.
She was admitted in the early hours yesterday morning as all of a sudden, she started vomiting & complaining of stomach pain.
She got admitted to a ward yesterday afternoon, near enough 12 hrs after coming into hospital.
She’s had all sorts of blood tests & a CT scan as the drs were concerned about her pain & the blood tests. They showed she was fighting an infection. Her lactate levels were also high indicating sepsis.

Her kidneys are already damaged but apparently this infection ( they were running more tests yesterday, they think it is a water or urine infection) has damaged them further.
I had that conversation with the dr & i’m pretty upset to be honest. I just get that feeling that this might be the beginning of the end.

My mum was really tired yesterday & we left the hospital to get some food ( luckily we live close by) & then returned for a bit. She was a bit delirious as she was making up stories that she had been travelling again & was taken ill. This is exactly how she was last time. She also hasn’t got a clue that she lives at a care home or little hospital as we call it. No recollection whatsoever.

Her body temp was low ( not sure if this is her normal) so they were trying to heat her up with a special blanket. She was on a saline trip to hydrate her & they were getting antibiotics down her to fight the infection.
Clearly we don’t want her to be in pain & she was complaining that she was in pain yesterday.

bmca

Nov 11, 2018
So after all the dramas of last year prior to care home admission, my mum is in hospital again.
She was admitted in the early hours yesterday morning as all of a sudden, she started vomiting & complaining of stomach pain.
She got admitted to a ward yesterday afternoon, near enough 12 hrs after coming into hospital.
She’s had all sorts of blood tests & a CT scan as the drs were concerned about her pain & the blood tests. They showed she was fighting an infection. Her lactate levels were also high indicating sepsis.

Her kidneys are already damaged but apparently this infection ( they were running more tests yesterday, they think it is a water or urine infection) has damaged them further.
I had that conversation with the dr & i’m pretty upset to be honest. I just get that feeling that this might be the beginning of the end.

My mum was really tired yesterday & we left the hospital to get some food ( luckily we live close by) & then returned for a bit. She was a bit delirious as she was making up stories that she had been travelling again & was taken ill. This is exactly how she was last time. She also hasn’t got a clue that she lives at a care home or little hospital as we call it. No recollection whatsoever.

Her body temp was low ( not sure if this is her normal) so they were trying to heat her up with a special blanket. She was on a saline trip to hydrate her & they were getting antibiotics down her to fight the infection.
Clearly we don’t want her to be in pain & she was complaining that she was in pain yesterday.
undefined

bmca

Nov 11, 2018
I had that conversation with the doctor just before Christmas and now he is home as healthy as can be, I've lost count of the times I've dreaded going in to wake my brother these last few years, fearing the worst. It's such a roller coaster emotionally. It seems that hospital stays are common as the disease takes hold. Would love it if he could be cared for at home with the next infection and am hoping this for him. Hospital stays are so traumatic and the staff do not have the resources to care properly for him. Hope your mum gets all the care and pain relief they can give her.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Thank you everyone she is pretty much out of it & the dr said that delirium is quite common in these cases. She still has a saline drip to keep her hydrated & they are giving her antibiotics.
They now think that her leg might be infected again & this could be causing all the mayhem.

She was certainly saying some really weird stuff & her mind seemed to have gone back to the 60’s!

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
My mum is still in hospital & is no better. In fact she is worse now.
She has hardly eaten anything for a week now & is still being sick with awful green bile.
They seem to think she is constipated so the staff nurse gave her an edema yesterday.
She also thought my mum had aspirated yesterday & sure enough she had. They gave her a chest x Ray & the hospital rang me to update me to say she was basically no better than yesterday.
I’m not sure if the chest infection is now the original infection or a secondary infection but she is on 2 lots of antibiotics which have probably made her sick. She is dehydrated so she is also on fluids.

The nurse who rang me also talked about more kidney damage which is apparently reversible if they can keep my mum hydrated. She also has low blood pressure. I thought this yesterday when the nurse did her observations. I said I had a bad feeling when she went in & it’s getting worse now.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
So basically she has 48 hrs to respond & improve but the dr we saw tonight Is not hopeful it has to be said & if that she isn’t responding to treatment then it will be onto palliative care. She is quite agitated & can’t really speak. She is rattling & not really able to be sick as such & it is all going down into her lungs.
It’s here that you start praying that something happens & she is taken peacefully rather than go through all this.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
We have come home as I was finding it very distressing to be there & just pray to God that this is over sooner rather than later. My mum seems out of it anyway & doesn’t really respond & doesn't want to talk. The dr tried to get a tube down her nose to try to get my mum to stop feeling sick but it really distressed my mum so she stopped as my mum was crying out.

They want to get a physio out to my mum so that they can get the bile out of her lungs as she is really rattling. I know some people will pull through in situations like this & god only knows how. The hospital have my number & are under instruction to ring me if my mum gets worse at any time. When I went, I told my mum to go to sleep with God & that I love her. We don’t live far from the hospital & I have informed the closest relatives.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
So sorry to hear this @Kikki21 - what a time you've had (and are still having)! I hope there's peace for you both soon xxx

Thank you - there has not been any improvement in her condition since last night & we are gathering to go to the hospital & speak to the drs. My cousin ( the one who is estranged from my mum) is coming with us & will see my mum. I told her I completely understood if she didn’t want to but she has decided she does so this will be the first time in about 25 yrs.

Being realistic, my mum is displaying all the signs of being end of life so I hope she will be at peace soon xxx

Karen22

Nov 3, 2012
Thank you - there has not been any improvement in her condition since last night & we are gathering to go to the hospital & speak to the drs. My cousin ( the one who is estranged from my mum) is coming with us & will see my mum. I told her I completely understood if she didn’t want to but she has decided she does so this will be the first time in about 25 yrs.

Being realistic, my mum is displaying all the signs of being end of life so I hope she will be at peace soon xxx
Thinking of you at this very difficult time. X

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Thank you all. She is going to be moved to a side room soon & we will get free car parking now. I can stay there if I want to. Xx