Mum in end stage Alz, Dad mixed dementia and cannot understand how bad she is

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Hi im not from the UK.
Mum 78 with end stage Alzheimers has been in Dementia care 2.5yrs & in Hospital care 6 mnths.

She now has no mobility, on pureed/mashed foods, says only the odd word, unreponsive to people and surroundings half the time, reliant on carers for everything.
Many times now she goes through stages of condiderable decline but then picks up.
Mum is now only on paracetamol, laxsol, low dose daily anti B for UTI’s prevention ( which shes had many) and 12.5mg Quetiapine at bed time, which they are lookjng at stopping.
Mum hasnt been aggressive or agitated since her loss of mobility 6 mnths ago. She was previously on 75mg a day which they have slowly reduced.

Since Day 1 in care Dad (82 mild mixed dementia) has thought Mums just going to get better and come home.
We’ve stuck to the same script.
Shes not well, she needs looking after.
Dad never saw Mum at her worst... agitated, agressive, hitting people, we kept him away. In fact Dad was like a red rag to Mum. Not a happy marriage either.

Now that Mum is in the Hospital he thinks that now shes in the right place, as soon as they manage to stop giving her all these pills she will come home.
In fact hes been asking my sister and I more than ever if shes coming home.
I think a bit of anxiety is creeping in.
My brother lives with him at the moment, and Dad lives behind us, so not totally alone

He thinks my sister and I are lying about Mums condition.
I asked him if he wanted to see Mums care home Dr about Mum, he said No.
Now Mum is having another downturn, sleeping more, losing weight, not engaging with us or even look in our direction.
Dad just cant understand how ill Mum really is.
We already thought we would lose Mum in the New Year.
We’ve never been close to Dad, hes not the type for emotion or hugs.
How do we get through this?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`d just put the onus on the doctors @Linbrusco. Your dad`s unlikely to understand how ill your mother is or that she won't recover so I`d just say you have to wait for the doctor's advice.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I dont think you will ever be able to get your dad to understand, whatever you say. Loss of reasoning is one of the sad facts of dementia. I would just say you were waiting to see what the doctor says, too

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I agree, he won't understand. Just keep saying the same thing each time - she can come home when the doctor says she can.