Mum in Care Home

rosedolly

Feb 19, 2019
My Mum has Vascular Dementia and has been in a Care Home since May 2021. She is happy and settled. I had been visiting each week up until 5 weeks ago when the Home had a Covid case and was closed. Hopefully I will be able to start visiting again from next week. I have been phoning regularly. Mum has always been quite vocal, singing and chatting which they say is lovely to hear but now she is "annoying" the other residents and they tell me they may have to calm her down a bit which worries me. Has anyone had any experience of this. I think it is a shame to stop her singing and chatting but I do fully understand that they have other residents to think about who maybe quiet !

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @rosedolly

she is "annoying" the other residents and they tell me they may have to calm her down a bit which worries me.

It would worry me too.

Can you ask the care home how they intend to `calm` her. I`m sure medication cannot be given without a prescription from a doctor and I would be surprised if a doctor would agree to it in these circumstances.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i wouldnt like it either. cant they move the resident who wants quiet to a different area. where i worked, if we had singers in or entertainment and knew residents who would not like it because of the noise, we used to move them away from the noise so they didnt get distressed and the other residents were able to enjoy it

Bettusboo

Aug 30, 2020
My mums care home has also closed to visitors due to covid cases. This looks like it will run and run as new cases keep emerging. After not being able to visit for a few weeks, the home has now agreed that I can be nominated as an essential carer and can continue to visit. If the care home doesn’t open up to visitors soon, this is something you could argue for so that your mum can continue to benefit from social and family contact and you are also better able to keep an eye on things. Her chatting and singing sounds like a positive thing and so you would hope it could be managed without her annoying other residents.

watty

Jan 9, 2022
My Mum's care home has been closed to visitors since 27th December and I am trying to get put down as an essential care giver.
My Mother is bed bound and isolated already in her room,so having no visitors for me is unacceptable .
It just feels like we are constantly locked into this depressing situation with no control over seeing our loved ones. Leaves you with a feeling of hopelessness.
Response to the post from rosedolly
I think all the research shows the benefits on physical and mental health of singing. I think they should be doing more singing activities, then the ones that don't enjoy can move away.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP @watty
I hope you get the essential care giver sorted ASAP.
Please keep posting as you’ll get lots of support here.

watty

Jan 9, 2022
The home has phoned and I may be able to visit on Sunday after having three consecutive days negative lateral flow tests. I will have to do a PCR when I arrive and do this once a week.
Thanks and I will do.