• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can be found in our area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

You can directly access this area >here<.

Mum in Care Home

rosedolly

Feb 19, 2019
My Mum has Vascular Dementia and has been in a Care Home since May 2021. She is happy and settled. I had been visiting each week up until 5 weeks ago when the Home had a Covid case and was closed. Hopefully I will be able to start visiting again from next week. I have been phoning regularly. Mum has always been quite vocal, singing and chatting which they say is lovely to hear but now she is "annoying" the other residents and they tell me they may have to calm her down a bit which worries me. Has anyone had any experience of this. I think it is a shame to stop her singing and chatting but I do fully understand that they have other residents to think about who maybe quiet !

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @rosedolly

she is "annoying" the other residents and they tell me they may have to calm her down a bit which worries me.

It would worry me too.

Can you ask the care home how they intend to `calm` her. I`m sure medication cannot be given without a prescription from a doctor and I would be surprised if a doctor would agree to it in these circumstances.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i wouldnt like it either. cant they move the resident who wants quiet to a different area. where i worked, if we had singers in or entertainment and knew residents who would not like it because of the noise, we used to move them away from the noise so they didnt get distressed and the other residents were able to enjoy it