Mum in care home crying and angry - need advice

Glitzy

May 19, 2015
I am hoping that someone on here may be able to offer me some advice. We recently had to put Mum, who is 94 years old, into a care home following a series of falls around Christmas time. She is so desperately upset, she had been there now for two months and still cries a lot. We had looked at all the alternatives but being in a care home was the only solution and it is a lovely care home as she is lucky enough to have enough money to pay for such a wonderful place -it is like a 5 star hotel. She hates me for putting her in there (despite agreeing and wanting to go there at the time) and calls me the devil and the dragon and has disowned me - I am an only child. My mum is angry all the time when I am there and has changed from being a lovely kind soul into a nasty spiteful person and I feel so guilty that it is all my fault. Mum’s dementia had been slowly getting worse but the move into the care home seems to have escalated her decline. She is so focussed on wanting to get out of the care home and get back to her house that it makes her angry and it seems as though this anger is occupying all of her brain and we cannot get anything else out of her. She was recently assessed by the mental health team as not having capacity so she will stay there for good now and I do not know what to say when she sons and begs me to take her ‘home’. Has anyone else experienced this? Does it ever get better? When I visit she won’t talk to me, she only shouts about how evil I am and that I am sending her mad, she won’t look at me and won’t let me touch her. I feel so awful about this all the time ☹️

An extra note - it wasn’t just the falls, Mum was forgetting her tablets on the day she was on her own or else taking all the day’s doses at once or throwing them in the bin. She was also beginning to sundown and saying that she was going to go out at night and sit in the road or throw herself in front of a car as she didn’t want to live any more. She frequently said that she would throw herself down the stairs or hang herself which was very upsetting.

Last edited:

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Love lies.

You say '' The Dr wants you to stay here until you are better/stronger/able to walk better''

You keep repeating it.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Glitzy

Your mum is in a care home you feel is really good so have you discussed her behaviour with the staff.

Is she contented enough when you are not there or is she always so unhappy?

What do you say when she begs you to take her home?
I put the blame on the doctor when my husband wanted to come home. I said he was in convalescent care to build up his strength.
Can you think of anything to say which will take the onus from you so your mum stops holding you responsible.

If your mother refuses to talk to you when you visit perhaps you could try leaving, telling her there is no point in your visit if she won't talk to you or is so angry with you.

It really is a case of trying everything and anything and hope something will work.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Glitzy and welcome to Talking Point

That must be very upsetting foe you ((((hugs)))))

Im going to go for a scatter-gun response as I dont know the whole situation, so please ignore stuff that doesnt apply.

What is she like when you are not there? So many people have found their PWD (Person with dementia) to say how much they hate their care home, but discover that they are perfectly happy when they are not there! It is often the case that seeing their relatives will will trigger off the "want to go home" loop. If the carers are saying that she is OK at other times see if you can observe her before she sees you, to reasure yourself that she is OK.

How often are you visiting? If you are going every day then although she may not remember you visiting, she could well be remembering the emotions and continue to feel upset next time she sees you. It becomes a negative feedback system. Could you cut back the visiting - maybe go away for a weeks holiday, which might cut the loop (and would also make you feel better)?

When you visit, dont spend the whole time trying to comfort her, and definitely dont try to reason with her. Logic and reasoning disappear with dementia and constantly trying to comfort her will, perversely, simply reinforce the whole problem in her mind. Never cry in front of her. Go in with a bright breezy isnt-this-all-very-nice attitude and a little treat for her - she may reject it at the time, but will probably accept it after you have gone! When you realise that she is getting upset dont comfort her, distract her. Get her a cup of tea and a biscuit. take her for a walk around the garden, bring some photos with you that she might like to see, or disappear off to the loo (I went to the loo a lot when mum first went into her care home). Dont stay for long anyway and if, despite all your efforts, your mum gets upset, get a carer to find "something important" for your mum to do and just go.

It could be just a phase. The nastiness often appears at mid-stage dementia. With mum this happened before she went into her care home; she accused me of all sorts and told me I was an evil daughter who cared nothing for her. This continued for a while once she went into her care home, but then the paranoia went away and she became settled and happy.

Im sure you will find that it will eventually pass.

Glitzy

May 19, 2015
Thank you so much for your reply. According to the lovely staff at the home she is slightly better when I’m not there but still has days when all she does is cry and they cannot persuade her to do,anything. I have cut down on the visiting as it seemed to be so upsetting for her so I wondered who was benefiting from my visits - me or her. She is not so bad when she can’t see me (she has macular degeneration) so sometimes I listen to her but she is still moaning about me. When she does see me all I get is ‘here she comes, the dragon, she’s the one sending me mad’. I am the focus of all her anger and it is so hard as we have looked after her for the twent something years since my dad died but all this means nothing. All I get is accusations that I have taken her house away and that I have all her money. I am slowly learning to let all this go over my head and I try to distract her but because she won’t do anything - she doesn’t join in with the activities, she doesn’t read or watch the TV, it is hard to find anything to talk about as she doesn’t want to talk about anything from her past and she’s not interested in what any of her few friends left are doing. She won’t let anyone else visit her and all she does is tell me to go away as I’m not her daughter any more. Sometimes I feel like really giving the visiting a break maybe leave it two or three weeks and see what happens. Thank you for listening and for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it. X

Glitzy

May 19, 2015
Love lies.

You say '' The Dr wants you to stay here until you are better/stronger/able to walk better''

You keep repeating it.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, we are trying that one but mum just says that she hasn’t seen any doctor (she has but has forgotten) so I am making it all up. Sometimes she says she will be there until Christmas so we go along with that one as she had no concept of days/weeks/months.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
All I get is accusations that I have taken her house away and that I have all her money
This seems to be a common complaint in dementia. Mum used to accuse me of stealing from her and say that I was just after her house before she went into her care home.

When she says she hasnt seen the doctor, try saying "Oh thats terrible, Ill speak to him and get him to see you" ;)

Sometimes I feel like really giving the visiting a break maybe leave it two or three weeks and see what happens.
Actually, if you can manage it, it might not be a bad idea as it might break the delusion.

Glitzy

May 19, 2015
Hello @Glitzy

Your mum is in a care home you feel is really good so have you discussed her behaviour with the staff.

Is she contented enough when you are not there or is she always so unhappy?

What do you say when she begs you to take her home?
I put the blame on the doctor when my husband wanted to come home. I said he was in convalescent care to build up his strength.
Can you think of anything to say which will take the onus from you so your mum stops holding you responsible.

If your mother refuses to talk to you when you visit perhaps you could try leaving, telling her there is no point in your visit if she won't talk to you or is so angry with you.

It really is a case of trying everything and anything and hope something will work.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. The staff at her care home are wonderful and are doing their best to make her happy. I don’t think anything will stop her blaming me as I’ve tried the doctor thing already. I did once walk out when she was rude and then refused to speak me. I sat there for quite a while and there was absolutely no reaction from her to anything I said ‘did you see the snow’, ‘do you want a cup of tea?’, etc so I left but that never bothered her. She frequently thinks I’m her mum and goes on about ‘how could my own mother put me in a place like this.....’ it just makes me feel so sad and being an only child I feel all th guilt and the blame for this. Thank you again..x

Glitzy

May 19, 2015
This seems to be a common complaint in dementia. Mum used to accuse me of stealing from her and say that I was just after her house before she went into her care home.

When she says she hasnt seen the doctor, try saying "Oh thats terrible, Ill speak to him and get him to see you" ;)

Actually, if you can manage it, it might not be a bad idea as it might break the delusion.

Thank you again for your suggestions, I’ll try the chasing th doctor one next time, that may help and maybe I can overcome the guilt a bit and not visit for a couple of weeks. Thanks, X

lambchop

Nov 18, 2011
Just a couple more suggestions which may or may not be appropriate:
When the doctor has visited her, has he suggested anti-depressants at all? Anti-depressants can be useful in depressive episodes of dementia.
Have you tried the Alzheimers' helpline?
This has to be a very common problem and, obviously very distressing for both of you.
Does mum remember at all falling so many times at home or does she deny it?

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
Hi Glitzy,

Your circumstances are similar to mine. I am an only child and had my Mum lived with me for 7 years, from the time her dementia was diagnosed till 2 months ago when she went into a very nice care home. I was struggling and I told Mum I was finding it really hard and she agreed that a care home was the answer. Mum makes friends easily and settled very well but nearly 3 months in and little cracks are starting to appear.

Mum has no recollection of any of the problems we were having at home and there is no point in dragging it up. She says she shouldn't be there, she should be with 'the family' which is me and her grandchildren. She thinks she is in a fancy hospital as she calls everyone nurse. I know love lies are suggested but it is hard as I have never lied so much to my Mum and altho her short term memory is poor she will question anything I say so e.g if I say the Dr says she must stay she would ask why, when and request another visit for him to explain it all.

I have no answers except that probably of all the things you could say the love lies are the easiest and kindest thing to say. If your Mum is anything like mine then as others have said she will complain to you because you are her daughter, you have a shared history and when any of us are worried or want someone to blame it is usually the nearest and dearest that get the brunt of it. It hurts but it is normal.

Glitzy

May 19, 2015
Just a couple more suggestions which may or may not be appropriate:
When the doctor has visited her, has he suggested anti-depressants at all? Anti-depressants can be useful in depressive episodes of dementia.
Have you tried the Alzheimers' helpline?
This has to be a very common problem and, obviously very distressing for both of you.
Does mum remember at all falling so many times at home or does she deny it?

Thank you for your suggestions and taking the time to reply. She has just started today on Sertraline so fingers crossed her mood will improve over the coming weeks as I know it takes a while for this to take effect. She keeps saying she fell only once and we ‘threw’ her in the care home because of it. She had numerous falls ending up in A&E several times but she denies this. I wasn’t aware of the Alzheimer’s helpline so I may contact them. Thank you again for your help. X

Glitzy

May 19, 2015
Hi Glitzy,

Your circumstances are similar to mine. I am an only child and had my Mum lived with me for 7 years, from the time her dementia was diagnosed till 2 months ago when she went into a very nice care home. I was struggling and I told Mum I was finding it really hard and she agreed that a care home was the answer. Mum makes friends easily and settled very well but nearly 3 months in and little cracks are starting to appear.

Mum has no recollection of any of the problems we were having at home and there is no point in dragging it up. She says she shouldn't be there, she should be with 'the family' which is me and her grandchildren. She thinks she is in a fancy hospital as she calls everyone nurse. I know love lies are suggested but it is hard as I have never lied so much to my Mum and altho her short term memory is poor she will question anything I say so e.g if I say the Dr says she must stay she would ask why, when and request another visit for him to explain it all.

I have no answers except that probably of all the things you could say the love lies are the easiest and kindest thing to say. If your Mum is anything like mine then as others have said she will complain to you because you are her daughter, you have a shared history and when any of us are worried or want someone to blame it is usually the nearest and dearest that get the brunt of it. It hurts but it is normal.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I’m hoping that the Sertraline she started on today will help improve her mood. X

lambchop

Nov 18, 2011
Thank you for your suggestions and taking the time to reply. She has just started today on Sertraline so fingers crossed her mood will improve over the coming weeks as I know it takes a while for this to take effect. She keeps saying she fell only once and we ‘threw’ her in the care home because of it. She had numerous falls ending up in A&E several times but she denies this. I wasn’t aware of the Alzheimer’s helpline so I may contact them. Thank you again for your help. X

You're more than welcome. I hope the Sertraline helps and I hope mum doesn't have side-effects from it, but if she does, there are loads of other anti-depressants that can be tried. It is a waiting game unfortunately but hopefully not for too long. Thank goodness she is taking the meds. Best of luck.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Hi @Glitzy i too am an only child & I could have written your post in a lot of parts. My mum is now in a care home. She thinks it is sort of a hospital & wants to go home but we have managed to convince her through love lies that her home has gone now. And that the drs say she must stay there to get better.

We really thought she would just stay in her room all the time but actually she has joined in by being in the lounge with the other residents. A lot can’t communicate so she has stuck with 1 lady who also has dementia but can speak at least. It is very hard & my mum has accused me of all sorts ( and other people) sometimes it is best to cut the visits down & hopefully with the help of Sertraline then you will see a difference in a few weeks time.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Hello @Glitzy, and I am sorry to hear about the situation with your mother and all the upset and distress.

I wanted to reply as I have been in a similar situation, and it did get better, so I hope to be able to offer you some hope.

Firstly, I want to say that so much of what you describe is very common with dementia. I know that doesn't make the situation better or change anything, but I have often found it helpful to know that a certain behaviour was down to the disease, not necessarily me, and that my mother wasn't the only one with those particular issues.

I am not sure how long your mother has been diagnosed, how long she has had the dementia, and how far along she is. From what you describe, she was definitely not safe living at home any longer: falls, not being able to take medications correctly, and other dangerous behaviours mean that more supervision is necessary for the PWD (person with dementia) to be safe and get proper care. Often a residential facility or care home is really the only workable option, for a variety of reasons.

I know you know all of this, but I am saying it as I want to emphasize that you did not "put" your mother in a care home. The disease causes brain damage, physical changes in the brain, which mean your mother can no longer look after herself properly and be safe by herself. Dementia is the reason that your mother has moved into a care home. This is not your fault, and you are not to blame. You did not give her this disease, it just happened. The dementia is the enemy, not you.

By all means, feel sad and upset and angry and grieving, but try not to let the guilt take hold. The guilt will get you nowhere and will just make you feel worse. You didn't do anything wrong, you are not a bad person, you are not at fault.

On the contrary, you acted as a responsible and caring person, to make sure your mother is safe and getting the care she needs. I know this is likely hard to hear and accept (there are still days I doubt I am a decent human being), but please try to be kind to yourself and not add to your burden.

All of what you describe: the inability to look after herself in terms of taking medications, the sundowning, your mother's very upsetting statements about wanting to kill herself or be dead, the accusations that you are evil and the devil, that you have "dumped" or "abandoned" her here, how could her own family do that to her, the sobbing, the disowning, the wanting to go home to her own house, that you have stolen her house, that you only want her money, the inability to reason and be logical, the "denial" of the depth of her problems, all of it, it's all the dementia. None of that is anything you did, it's the dementia producing that. I have seen and heard it all before, from my own mother, from people in my local support groups and workshops, and from many, many people here on TP. Again, I know that doesn't change the situation you're in, but I want to reassure you that this is the disease talking, not something you have done.

If you will bear with me, and I am sorry to talk so much about myself, I have been through something very similar with my own mother. I am an only child and so is my mother. My parents were divorced when I was young and my father died almost 20 years ago and I am her only family. About six years ago my mother started having what I now know, were earlier symptoms of her dementia (probably Alzheimer's) and needed a lot of help. Three years ago she had a crisis (found wandering in inadequate clothing in cold weather, disoriented, injured) and was taken to hospital, sectioned, spent a week or two under section, diagnosed, then was discharged to a care home. She was no longer safe living alone at home (with no support or services as she refused). She could not bathe, shop, prepare meals, eat properly, take her medications, clean, pay bills. She wasn't eating or sleeping and was, among other things, malnourished. She had had at least two car accidents, and lost money to scammers, and so on. It was horrific.

Both while under section and when we moved her to the care home, she was unbelievably nasty to me. I had put her in hospital, I had dumped her in the care home, I wanted to steal her money, I wanted to take her house, I was the devil incarnate, I was the most ungrateful and worthless child ever, I had stolen her away from all her friends (she had none, by the way) and locked her up, and it went on and on. The care home nurse manager said she's seen a lot of this sort of thing, but my mother was the worst she'd ever seen. She advised me to stay away for a while and I'd been warned about this by the social worker in hospital as well.

So I didn't visit my mother in her new care home for two months. Yes, you read that right, two months. My mother's meds were under better control after her stay in hospital, but it still took some time to sort things out, and I was a trigger for her anxiety, distress, and vitriol. My husband did go to check on her, as she likes him, and I was in frequent contact with the staff via phone and email.

When I did start visiting, I kept the visits short, timed them for a good part of the day for her (her sundowning can be pretty bad), often timed them so she would go to a meal or activity shortly after my arrival, didn't visit alone for a long time (maybe a year), didn't spent any time alone in her room with her (she often wanted to take me off "for a chat" which meant nothing good, so I refused) and stuck to the common areas, left the room if she got the least bit agitated (I "went to the toilet" a lot!), and cut the visit short if there was any further sign of agitation.

I also never say exactly when I'm coming back, as that was also a trigger for her upset. I just say "see you soon." I also leave my coat and bag in the car, so gathering them up is not a signal I'm leaving, and enlist a staff member to distract her if needed.

(My mother's dementia has now advanced to the point where she hasn't been nasty to me in a long time and much of this is no longer necessary, but I am still cautious.)

Only you know what will work for you and your mother, but if you need someone to give you permission to stop visiting for a while, I happily grant you that! If there is a staff member or nurse or someone at the care home you feel especially comfortable with, I would encourage you to discuss this with them. It can't hurt and they may be able to offer you some support. Even taking a couple of weeks off visiting may make a difference.

I am glad you are getting her medications reviewed and would encourage you to stick with this. Once my mother's meds were straightened out, it made a huge difference. She was able to eat and sleep regularly again, and that helped as much as reducing the anxiety and delusions. Her meds still need tweaking from time to time, but in the main, she is about 90% improved over where she was at the time of her diagnosis and move to the care home, in terms of her anxiety and distress.

One more thing and then I promise I'll hush. Your mother may not be "in denial" in the classic sense about her past hospitalizations and problems. She may not be able to remember her falls and trips to the ER. The neurologist explained to me that memory is a complex mechanism and that you cannot retrieve a memory, if it wasn't properly coded and/or stored--you can't access information that isn't there. So she may not, neurologically, be able to recall these things.

This is not to say she isn't stubborn, defiant, and/or in denial. That is possible, of course. It can be very hard to tease out what is the person, and what is the dementia, at times.

There is also the issue of anosognosia. Most people with dementia have this and it affects their insight. Basically, they cannot understand or comprehend that there is anything wrong with them. In their minds, they are fine. They don't have dementia, they didn't fall, they don't have a broken wrist, they didn't hurt their leg, and so on. It is a hard thing for a healthy brain to grasp, that a brain with dementia can't understand something. When my mother fell and broke her kneecap last year, I saw the anosognosia come into play. Despite the pain and swelling, and the huge brace on her leg, and being unable to walk, and being in hospital and having surgery and then going to a rehabilitation hospital and all of that, she could not understand that there was anything wrong with her. Her knee was fine. She didn't need that bandage (removed the surgical dressing). Someone had put stitches in her perfectly good knee (she picked at them). She didn't need help to get to the toilet (she got out of bed, climbing over the bed rail, in the process, and fell, hours after her surgery). She didn't need to do any exercises, her knee was fine! It was really mind blowing.

So "denial" as such generally isn't the case with a person with dementia. It isn't usual that they understand the situation but are deliberately refusing to accept it. It's usually a combination of anosognosia and memory impairment, and sometimes confusion. Again, I may be off base about this with your mother, but it is something to consider.

I am sorry I talked so much, especially about myself and my mother's situation, but I did want to give you a sense that no, you are not the only person, who is an only child, with an angry and upset mother who had to move into a care home, who is on the receiving end of undeserved abuse.

Please do try to be kind to yourself. It is very easy for me to say that, and very difficult for you to do. I am sorry for the situation and wish you all the best.

Rosie4u

Jun 22, 2017
South Manchester
I am hoping that someone on here may be able to offer me some advice. We recently had to put Mum, who is 94 years old, into a care home following a series of falls around Christmas time. She is so desperately upset, she had been there now for two months and still cries a lot. We had looked at all the alternatives but being in a care home was the only solution and it is a lovely care home as she is lucky enough to have enough money to pay for such a wonderful place -it is like a 5 star hotel. She hates me for putting her in there (despite agreeing and wanting to go there at the time) and calls me the devil and the dragon and has disowned me - I am an only child. My mum is angry all the time when I am there and has changed from being a lovely kind soul into a nasty spiteful person and I feel so guilty that it is all my fault. Mum’s dementia had been slowly getting worse but the move into the care home seems to have escalated her decline. She is so focussed on wanting to get out of the care home and get back to her house that it makes her angry and it seems as though this anger is occupying all of her brain and we cannot get anything else out of her. She was recently assessed by the mental health team as not having capacity so she will stay there for good now and I do not know what to say when she sons and begs me to take her ‘home’. Has anyone else experienced this? Does it ever get better? When I visit she won’t talk to me, she only shouts about how evil I am and that I am sending her mad, she won’t look at me and won’t let me touch her. I feel so awful about this all the time ☹️

An extra note - it wasn’t just the falls, Mum was forgetting her tablets on the day she was on her own or else taking all the day’s doses at once or throwing them in the bin. She was also beginning to sundown and saying that she was going to go out at night and sit in the road or throw herself in front of a car as she didn’t want to live any more. She frequently said that she would throw herself down the stairs or hang herself which was very upsetting.

I had this a year ago with my aunt who was 96 and I finally gave up on her being able to stay at home on her own. I could only visit once a week at most and she had carers and began to be very unhappy at home.
Eventually after being hospitalised a couple of times she went to a lovely care home.
She used to cry and should and ask to be taken home every time I went to see her and it was awful. Apparently she was quite content when I wasn't there and if anyone else visited she was the life and soul.
I started to take someone with me when I went - even my husband who has Alzheimers (what a joy that was ) and she didn't get upset. Sometimes she would sulk and not chat - but that worked quite well.
What I saw was that if anyone suggested she was going to stay there for ever she got hysterical and i used 'the doctor says you have to stay here until you are stronger' for over 1 months so it was something I could do nothing about.
I also used to use 'next time I come I'll......' whatever she wanted me to do and hope by next time she'd have forgotten.
It can be very wearing but it is the right thing to do .
Hugs
Rosie

Glitzy

May 19, 2015
I had this a year ago with my aunt who was 96 and I finally gave up on her being able to stay at home on her own. I could only visit once a week at most and she had carers and began to be very unhappy at home.
Eventually after being hospitalised a couple of times she went to a lovely care home.
She used to cry and should and ask to be taken home every time I went to see her and it was awful. Apparently she was quite content when I wasn't there and if anyone else visited she was the life and soul.
I started to take someone with me when I went - even my husband who has Alzheimers (what a joy that was ) and she didn't get upset. Sometimes she would sulk and not chat - but that worked quite well.
What I saw was that if anyone suggested she was going to stay there for ever she got hysterical and i used 'the doctor says you have to stay here until you are stronger' for over 1 months so it was something I could do nothing about.
I also used to use 'next time I come I'll......' whatever she wanted me to do and hope by next time she'd have forgotten.
It can be very wearing but it is the right thing to do .
Hugs
Rosie
Hi Rosie, that you for your reply and you have made some good suggestions there. Thank you so much. X

Glitzy

May 19, 2015
Hello @Glitzy, and I am sorry to hear about the situation with your mother and all the upset and distress.

I wanted to reply as I have been in a similar situation, and it did get better, so I hope to be able to offer you some hope.

Firstly, I want to say that so much of what you describe is very common with dementia. I know that doesn't make the situation better or change anything, but I have often found it helpful to know that a certain behaviour was down to the disease, not necessarily me, and that my mother wasn't the only one with those particular issues.

I am not sure how long your mother has been diagnosed, how long she has had the dementia, and how far along she is. From what you describe, she was definitely not safe living at home any longer: falls, not being able to take medications correctly, and other dangerous behaviours mean that more supervision is necessary for the PWD (person with dementia) to be safe and get proper care. Often a residential facility or care home is really the only workable option, for a variety of reasons.

I know you know all of this, but I am saying it as I want to emphasize that you did not "put" your mother in a care home. The disease causes brain damage, physical changes in the brain, which mean your mother can no longer look after herself properly and be safe by herself. Dementia is the reason that your mother has moved into a care home. This is not your fault, and you are not to blame. You did not give her this disease, it just happened. The dementia is the enemy, not you.

By all means, feel sad and upset and angry and grieving, but try not to let the guilt take hold. The guilt will get you nowhere and will just make you feel worse. You didn't do anything wrong, you are not a bad person, you are not at fault.

On the contrary, you acted as a responsible and caring person, to make sure your mother is safe and getting the care she needs. I know this is likely hard to hear and accept (there are still days I doubt I am a decent human being), but please try to be kind to yourself and not add to your burden.

All of what you describe: the inability to look after herself in terms of taking medications, the sundowning, your mother's very upsetting statements about wanting to kill herself or be dead, the accusations that you are evil and the devil, that you have "dumped" or "abandoned" her here, how could her own family do that to her, the sobbing, the disowning, the wanting to go home to her own house, that you have stolen her house, that you only want her money, the inability to reason and be logical, the "denial" of the depth of her problems, all of it, it's all the dementia. None of that is anything you did, it's the dementia producing that. I have seen and heard it all before, from my own mother, from people in my local support groups and workshops, and from many, many people here on TP. Again, I know that doesn't change the situation you're in, but I want to reassure you that this is the disease talking, not something you have done.

If you will bear with me, and I am sorry to talk so much about myself, I have been through something very similar with my own mother. I am an only child and so is my mother. My parents were divorced when I was young and my father died almost 20 years ago and I am her only family. About six years ago my mother started having what I now know, were earlier symptoms of her dementia (probably Alzheimer's) and needed a lot of help. Three years ago she had a crisis (found wandering in inadequate clothing in cold weather, disoriented, injured) and was taken to hospital, sectioned, spent a week or two under section, diagnosed, then was discharged to a care home. She was no longer safe living alone at home (with no support or services as she refused). She could not bathe, shop, prepare meals, eat properly, take her medications, clean, pay bills. She wasn't eating or sleeping and was, among other things, malnourished. She had had at least two car accidents, and lost money to scammers, and so on. It was horrific.

Both while under section and when we moved her to the care home, she was unbelievably nasty to me. I had put her in hospital, I had dumped her in the care home, I wanted to steal her money, I wanted to take her house, I was the devil incarnate, I was the most ungrateful and worthless child ever, I had stolen her away from all her friends (she had none, by the way) and locked her up, and it went on and on. The care home nurse manager said she's seen a lot of this sort of thing, but my mother was the worst she'd ever seen. She advised me to stay away for a while and I'd been warned about this by the social worker in hospital as well.

So I didn't visit my mother in her new care home for two months. Yes, you read that right, two months. My mother's meds were under better control after her stay in hospital, but it still took some time to sort things out, and I was a trigger for her anxiety, distress, and vitriol. My husband did go to check on her, as she likes him, and I was in frequent contact with the staff via phone and email.

When I did start visiting, I kept the visits short, timed them for a good part of the day for her (her sundowning can be pretty bad), often timed them so she would go to a meal or activity shortly after my arrival, didn't visit alone for a long time (maybe a year), didn't spent any time alone in her room with her (she often wanted to take me off "for a chat" which meant nothing good, so I refused) and stuck to the common areas, left the room if she got the least bit agitated (I "went to the toilet" a lot!), and cut the visit short if there was any further sign of agitation.

I also never say exactly when I'm coming back, as that was also a trigger for her upset. I just say "see you soon." I also leave my coat and bag in the car, so gathering them up is not a signal I'm leaving, and enlist a staff member to distract her if needed.

(My mother's dementia has now advanced to the point where she hasn't been nasty to me in a long time and much of this is no longer necessary, but I am still cautious.)

Only you know what will work for you and your mother, but if you need someone to give you permission to stop visiting for a while, I happily grant you that! If there is a staff member or nurse or someone at the care home you feel especially comfortable with, I would encourage you to discuss this with them. It can't hurt and they may be able to offer you some support. Even taking a couple of weeks off visiting may make a difference.

I am glad you are getting her medications reviewed and would encourage you to stick with this. Once my mother's meds were straightened out, it made a huge difference. She was able to eat and sleep regularly again, and that helped as much as reducing the anxiety and delusions. Her meds still need tweaking from time to time, but in the main, she is about 90% improved over where she was at the time of her diagnosis and move to the care home, in terms of her anxiety and distress.

One more thing and then I promise I'll hush. Your mother may not be "in denial" in the classic sense about her past hospitalizations and problems. She may not be able to remember her falls and trips to the ER. The neurologist explained to me that memory is a complex mechanism and that you cannot retrieve a memory, if it wasn't properly coded and/or stored--you can't access information that isn't there. So she may not, neurologically, be able to recall these things.

This is not to say she isn't stubborn, defiant, and/or in denial. That is possible, of course. It can be very hard to tease out what is the person, and what is the dementia, at times.

There is also the issue of anosognosia. Most people with dementia have this and it affects their insight. Basically, they cannot understand or comprehend that there is anything wrong with them. In their minds, they are fine. They don't have dementia, they didn't fall, they don't have a broken wrist, they didn't hurt their leg, and so on. It is a hard thing for a healthy brain to grasp, that a brain with dementia can't understand something. When my mother fell and broke her kneecap last year, I saw the anosognosia come into play. Despite the pain and swelling, and the huge brace on her leg, and being unable to walk, and being in hospital and having surgery and then going to a rehabilitation hospital and all of that, she could not understand that there was anything wrong with her. Her knee was fine. She didn't need that bandage (removed the surgical dressing). Someone had put stitches in her perfectly good knee (she picked at them). She didn't need help to get to the toilet (she got out of bed, climbing over the bed rail, in the process, and fell, hours after her surgery). She didn't need to do any exercises, her knee was fine! It was really mind blowing.

So "denial" as such generally isn't the case with a person with dementia. It isn't usual that they understand the situation but are deliberately refusing to accept it. It's usually a combination of anosognosia and memory impairment, and sometimes confusion. Again, I may be off base about this with your mother, but it is something to consider.

I am sorry I talked so much, especially about myself and my mother's situation, but I did want to give you a sense that no, you are not the only person, who is an only child, with an angry and upset mother who had to move into a care home, who is on the receiving end of undeserved abuse.

Please do try to be kind to yourself. It is very easy for me to say that, and very difficult for you to do. I am sorry for the situation and wish you all the best.

Hi Amy, thank you so, so much for your post. You have really helped me with the guilt and upset I was feeling about my mum as I had a particularly difficult visit two days ago.

Glitzy

May 19, 2015

Hi Amy, I couldn’t post all of my reply so here is the rest:

Having usually been able to handle things not too badly by changing the subject and distracting her, she started saying some really nasty and spiteful things which eventually got to me and I ended up crying in front of her. Well she had just got exactly the reaction she’s was looking for and started gloating about it at which point I sort of ‘lost it’ and ended up calling her evil back and threatening never to visit her again. I left the home in a terrible state and felt like I was going to have a heart attack, I could feel my heart nearly beating out of my chest and I felt sort of congested inside if that makes any sense. I realised afterwards that This was all completely pointless as she would no doubt have forgotten what I said and even that I had visited as she usually accuses me of not being in to see her for weeks. However, I have decided (and your post definitely helped) that I probably won’t go to see her for at least two weeks which will be the longest time without visiting. I will check with the care home how she is getting on. I know the meds won’t work that quickly but if they can see some improvement I can reconsider. I have arranged for a couple of her friends to go in (I am driving them there but I won’t visit) and they can let me know how she is. I had not heard of anosognosia so will look that up on the internet. I want you to know just how helpful and supportive your post has been and it let me know that I am not the only one going through this horrible experience. I am glad that your mother is more settled now. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Much love. X