Mum in bed and won't/ can't sit up

PinkOrchid1

Feb 21, 2021
My Mum is 82 and in the late stages of dementia. She is generally able to mobilise and walk albeit slowly. Last Monday her carers called for an ambulance as she was lying half out of the bed when they arrived in the morning and was indicating pain when they were helping her to sit. She was admitted to hospital where she was diagnosed with constipation and a suspected UTI (she is doubly incontinent). She did not do well in hospital, she was very resistant to care, she refused to get out/ attempt to get out of bed and she refused to eat and drink. After discussion with her doctor it was agreed that being in hospital was causing most of these problems and as the constipation and uti had been treated she was discharged home on Thursday. She arrived home via hospital transport on a stretcher and totally out of it, after telephoning the hospital we found out that she had been being given Lorazepam to calm her and allow the nurses to carry out her care. (Thursday morning the OT had phoned and said that herself and the physio had managed to get mum to sit on the edge of the bed but that she would not stand.) Since she has been home she is eating and drinking very little and only when spoon fed and is unable to sit (she shouts out and won't straighten up) when assisted by her carers. Her carers are excellent but I wonder how long we can go on like this, she could apparently sit on Thursday morning and up to her admission just under a week ago, could both sit and walk? I really am not sure what to think/ do?

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I would attempt to obtain more information from the hospital about tests carried out etc. I would ask for information about what treatments/ interventions they carried out.

It is of course possible the urine infection has returned.

I would continually ask the opinion of the carers, who have seen most things before.

Is she crying out because she doesn’t want to get up/move and it is a protest ? or because she is in pain. ? Have you tried pain relief.

How is her communication? Can she communicate pain ? If you worked your way down her body touching different areas saying ‘ does it hurt here’? would she be able to understand/communicate?

At this stage I would certainly call the GP. The GP wouldn’t call out to mum recently but instead sent a ‘ paramedic’ who didn’t look like a paramedic to me but gave the most excellent care to mum.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @PinkOrchid1
a warm welcome to DTP

what a worry for you ... whether this is a deterioration from the dementia (no longer understanding the process of how to sit up and fearful of contact she no longer understands from the carers) or a slow recovery and confusion over being hospitalised, it would be worth having your mum checked out either by her GP or call 111 ... as you say, if your mum isn't eating or drinking much, it's a real concern

PinkOrchid1

Feb 21, 2021
I would attempt to obtain more information from the hospital about tests carried out etc. I would ask for information about what treatments/ interventions they carried out.

It is of course possible the urine infection has returned.

I would continually ask the opinion of the carers, who have seen most things before.

Is she crying out because she doesn’t want to get up/move and it is a protest ? or because she is in pain. ? Have you tried pain relief.

How is her communication? Can she communicate pain ? If you worked your way down her body touching different areas saying ‘ does it hurt here’? would she be able to understand/communicate?

At this stage I would certainly call the GP. The GP wouldn’t call out to mum recently but instead sent a ‘ paramedic’ who didn’t look like a paramedic to me but gave the most excellent care to mum.
Thank you for such a quick response. I think I have managed to obtain the information from the hospital as to the treatments/ interventions. I am in constant communication with the carers, I am trying to assist them as much as I can. As for pain relief, because she was still under the effects of the Lorazepam we were not giving any additional medication in the short term but will try some today.
Her communication is via noises but it is hard to determine if it is pain or just her being cross as being touched etc.
I agree about the GP and will speak to her GP tomorrow, we too have previously had a paramedic do a home visit and he was excellent. Thank you for your suggestions.

PinkOrchid1

Feb 21, 2021
hello @PinkOrchid1
a warm welcome to DTP

what a worry for you ... whether this is a deterioration from the dementia (no longer understanding the process of how to sit up and fearful of contact she no longer understands from the carers) or a slow recovery and confusion over being hospitalised, it would be worth having your mum checked out either by her GP or call 111 ... as you say, if your mum isn't eating or drinking much, it's a real concern
Thank you and thank you for your reply. I will be calling her own GP tomorrow.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @PinkOrchid1 and welcome to the forum. You've had some good suggestions already but I was also wondering whether pain may be causing the problem. Do you know if the hospital made attempts to establish the cause of her pain? When my mum was in pain and unable to sit down a fractured spine was subsequently discovered. Hopefully the GP will be able to offer some useful advice/help tomorrow and your mum will be made more comfortable.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Hi @PinkOrchid1 !
As luck would have it the ambulance crew have just carted mum off to hospital again!
It prompted me to remember, don’t forget hostess syndrome !
Don’t forget someone with dementia who is being uncooperative, and rude to loving persons in their family! Can morph into Mrs Cooperative in the company of strangers
( mind you he was hot , don’t blame her !)
So the lesson for us all is don’t be shy about asking for help !

PinkOrchid1

Feb 21, 2021
Hello @PinkOrchid1 and welcome to the forum. You've had some good suggestions already but I was also wondering whether pain may be causing the problem. Do you know if the hospital made attempts to establish the cause of her pain? When my mum was in pain and unable to sit down a fractured spine was subsequently discovered. Hopefully the GP will be able to offer some useful advice/help tomorrow and your mum will be made more comfortable.
Hello Louise7, thank you for your reply.
The hospital did complete some scans and an x-ray and found nothing, it is very difficult to know exactly whether mum has a physical pain. With some very caring, patient caregivers she managed to sit up a little more today. and also ate and drank a little.

PinkOrchid1

Feb 21, 2021
Hi @PinkOrchid1 !
As luck would have it the ambulance crew have just carted mum off to hospital again!
Don’t forget someone with dementia who is being uncooperative, and rude to loving persons in their family! Can morph into Mrs Cooperative in the company of strangers
Sorry to hear about your mum but thank you for your reply/ suggestion.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hi @PinkOrchid1 !
behave weasell hope your mum gets better and maybe they will bring home again for a second look!!!

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello Louise7, thank you for your reply.
The hospital did complete some scans and an x-ray and found nothing, it is very difficult to know exactly whether mum has a physical pain. With some very caring, patient caregivers she managed to sit up a little more today. and also ate and drank a little.
Hello @PinkOrchid1 I'm pleased that your mum has improved a little today, and fingers crossed it continues.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976