mum home today

marlene

Apr 20, 2007
notts
hi all a quick recap, mum 69 now was diagnosed with AD 3 years ago although it had started 2 years previous. the last 6 months she started to go down really fast and was admitted onto an assesment unit, she spent 2 months on there and went from being talkative and independent , to shuffling around unreponsive and so on.. against the advice of the doctors we bought mum home today .. mums main carer will be my dad, but me and my sister live close by and will be there as much as we can, we have a care package in order and 2 days day care for mum aweek..she will be coming to me 1 day aweek as i have downstairs facilities and this will also give my dad abreak.. we really had to put our foot down to get mum home, the doctors did everything they could to put us off caring for mum ourselves.. were i understand that some people dont have a choice but to use care homes..we have a very supportive family and would have thought a bit more encouragement might have been more forecoming..we know what were in for and it wont be easy but were all willing to try our best and the smile on mums face when we got her home was all that we needed to know we had done the wright thing for us as a family. love marlene x ps i want to thank all the people on TP for there experieces and accounts of living with AD it helps so much knowing your not alone in dealing with this horrible illness xxx

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Marlene,

Congratulations to you and your family for standing up and fighting for your right to care for your mother the way you want to.

It all sounds so warm and loving and I wish you every success.

I do hope you will keep us updated on how you all manage.

I am so full of admiration for you all.

Love xx

marlene

Apr 20, 2007
notts
thanks sylvia i will keep you informed how we go on, like i said it wont be easy but were a determined lot.. we got our first giggle in ages out of my mum this evening my son told my mum she had her shoes on the wrong feet my dad piped up come here duck your feet are on the wrong shoes , we just all fell about laughing, long may we have some laughter in our lives.. x x x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Marlene

Congratulations. You have done such a lovely thing for your mum, and I'm so impressed that you've got the care package sorted out.

I'm sure with such a supportive family it will all work out fine.

Keep in touch, and let us know how you get on.

Love,

marlene

Apr 20, 2007
notts
wasnt easy getting care package and day centre sorted we had to kick up a stink...luckliy we have a really good SW who has been a godsent to us...xxx

marlene

Apr 20, 2007
notts
it just occurred to me that all the posts and threads i have started or replyed to up untill today have nearly all been depressing......god its good to smile xxx:)

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
What a wonderful thing you and your family are doing! You are truly a blessing for your dear Mum. I hope she and you find the journey as easy as possible. Remember that TP is always here - for the good times and the bad!

Every best wish to all of you.

marlene

Apr 20, 2007
notts
hiya update on my mum,

mum has been home nearly 2 weeks now the first 3 days were really tricky, we couldnt get her to take her meds and things got really out of control. Mum became aggressive, paranoid kept trying to get out of the house,screamed at anyone who tried to go near her. I think myself it was the adjustment to coming home and not knowing were she was ( she had been in hospital for 8 weeks ). Well eventually we got her to take some of her meds which started to calm her down, and now 8 days later she is doing really well. Although mums short term memory has now gone she can still recall bits from years ago. She has gone back to when she was a young girl and is living in that memory but she seems happy and always smiles now. Its not easy in fact its heartbreaking knowing my mum will never be the woman who bought me up and was so strong.

It is good to have her home and all we can do is love and cherish her the way she did with all of us... x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Marlene,

I`m pleased your mum has settled, although sorry to hear how difficult it was in the early days.

I hope she continues to be happy and smiling, as however much she is not the mum you had, it`s better than her being anxious and upset.

Take care

Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
marlene said:
It is good to have her home and all we can do is love and cherish her the way she did with all of us... x

Hi Marlene, that's a beautiful sentiment.

I'm so glad your mum is happy and smiling, it makes things so much easier for all of you.

Well done,

Love,

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
marlene said:
Its not easy in fact its heartbreaking knowing my mum will never be the woman who bought me up and was so strong.

I feel exactly the same way about my Mum, but, like yours, mine is in a happy place in her mind and I thank God for that.

Mum is in a care home and it is awful to see some of the other residents so anxious or distressed...........it is so very sad and unfair.

I am very pleased it is all going well for you now, well done!

Kathleen
x

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
What a joy to read something really positive, thank you for sharing your good news with us.

Hope you have many more smiles with mum.

Keep in touch.

Love
Cate

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Hello Marlene, I think what you and your family are doing for your mum is wonderful and I admire you all for your dedication, your mum is truely blessed to have you all in her life. I wish you all the very best for the future. Keep Smiling, Taffy.