Mum having respite care

Mitch60

Jun 13, 2018
Mum , who I live with is now having two weeks respite care ....I really needed the break ...but it's not doing me any good or Mum ...mum is very unhappy there ...and I find I'm worrying more ..I called in today and found her in her nighty , which was inside out ...cold toast on the table ... apple juice I took in on Saturday still in the glass ....a lump of cake as hard as a rock by TV ...wasn't there Saturday .....the flannel hasn't been used since Tuesday when mum went in ...her clean clothes had been shoved between the draws and wall ....one sock in the bin ....pants were ones she had on Saturday ...not hers and not clean ...bed not made and it was 12.10 ...nearly lunch time ...I was so lucky as the carer mum has every morning called in to see her too so between us we got her washed and dressed and then we took her to lunch in the dinning room ...all this is £1,203 per week ...I spent ages looking around for somewhere I was happy with ....and being my first experience of a care home i was really quite shocked at all this ....I did go and speak to the manager and said I wasn't happy ...mum seemed to have refused any help ...but I did tell them she can't dress herself .....surely the staff shouldnt just leave her like this ......where is the care ? So no my respite hasn't helped me or mum at all !

Mitch60

Jun 13, 2018
I' m so sorry for you because you needed this respite so much . It is so sad and disappointing.
Haven't things improved a bit after you complained to the manager?

Thank you Margherita .....thank goodness things have improved . Mum started to settle down Tuesday / Wednesday of this week ...and I've began to relax a bit ...mum is due home Monday so making the most of my last day tomorrow. I didn't realise how much I needed this break ...and I mustn't leave it so long next time to take one !!

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
Thank you Margherita .....thank goodness things have improved . Mum started to settle down Tuesday / Wednesday of this week ...and I've began to relax a bit ...mum is due home Monday so making the most of my last day tomorrow. I didn't realise how much I needed this break ...and I mustn't leave it so long next time to take one !!
I don't know how respite exactly works, but I wonder if it would be possible to extend it.
Anyway I ' so glad you could relax at last.

lis66

Aug 7, 2015
Glad you got a break Mitch ,sorry about your experience with the care home,glad your mums settled a bit xx