Mum has passed away

gene genie

Apr 26, 2017
My mum passed away this morning,the first thing I said was, I'm glad,which hopefully people on tp will understand. Her life especially in the last 19 months has been awful just 1 hospital admission after another, no quality of life.
I agonised over sending her to a care home and I know although I made the descion she would of been absolutely devastated and heartbroken to have to have gone into a home.
So although I'm devastated I'm also feeling relieved her suffering is over.
God bless mum .
Thanks to all for all your invaluable help in the last month's.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
sad news gene genie
I do understand your reaction; it doesn't in any way mean that you don't mourn her - I hope you will be able to look back at the earlier times in your lives and set these last few years in that perspective
be gentle with yourself now

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Yes, people on TP will understand your first reaction. Having said that I’d like to express my condolences and wish you the strength you will need at this time.

totallyconfused

Apr 18, 2016
I think that would be my reaction as well. You just want peace for them and any suffereing to be over. My neighbours mothers has alzheihmers, shes 96 and in a home. She said she hopes that's not ahead of me. My mother is 66. I understood and didn't feel insulted.

I wish you the best and I hope you know you did your best.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Oh gene genie.
I totally understand that reaction. My mother's last few years were very similar, with no QoL and I know if she'd have been aware she would have hated it, as I did watching her.
When people said, "I'm sorry . ." my reply was
"I'm sad, but I'm not sorry it's all over."
Take care. These coming few weeks and months will be tough.

Last edited:

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Totally understand Genegenie I felt the same for my dad...it is a very strange mix of emotions we feel. I am sorry that you much loved mum has passed away but you will take comfort from knowing that you did absolutely everything you could for her right until the end. Thinking of you

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
I'm sorry for your loss genie, but completely understand the sentiment of being 'glad', as you say. It's a horrendous disease to watch a loved one endure. Much strength for the coming days and weeks.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Oh @gene genie i am so sorry to read this as we were on our dementia journey with the people we care for at the same time & I know you were starting to look at care homes. I do understand the relief about it all & I know I will be the same. Please take care of yourself over the coming days etc & keep posting on TP xx

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
My mum passed away this morning,the first thing I said was, I'm glad,which hopefully people on tp will understand. Her life especially in the last 19 months has been awful just 1 hospital admission after another, no quality of life.
I agonised over sending her to a care home and I know although I made the descion she would of been absolutely devastated and heartbroken to have to have gone into a home.
So although I'm devastated I'm also feeling relieved her suffering is over.
God bless mum .
Thanks to all for all your invaluable help in the last month's.
My condolences Gene Genie - there is no happy ending to this condition, but at least you can now relax and think of your Mum in happier days, as she was when much younger and healthy and the Mum you love. Not for me to say really, but I suggest you put a photo of a smiling younger Mum on the Order of Service - it will cheer you and those around you xx God Bless xx