Mum has moved

kazza73

Feb 11, 2009
Perthshire Scotland
mum has now been in the nursing home just over a week. The move went well. There have been a few issues we have had to raise ( well, the nurses who continue to visit mum from the Challenging behaviour unit have been kind enough to raise them on our behalf!) but generally she seems to have accepted the move.

Granny's situation is sadly not as successful. The day she was due to move to the care home she had a funny turn, couldn't breathe properly and they had to cancel the move. The doctor was called and discovered her lungs are full of fluid. On friday we were told she may not last the weekend and yet almost a week later she is still fighting. It is doubtful she will ever leave the hospital now although she hasn't given up hope and keeps asking when she can go.

it has been a hard couple of weeks and the road ahead looks like it will have further ups and downs and twists and turns. We are supporting eachother as a family and taking things one day at a time.

Karen x

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
bless you kazza how distressing about your Gran
I just got back from visiting Lucy she has got pneumonia again and her whole body is full of fluid and twice refused to go for an xray:mad:

glad that your Mum has settled

as you say we can only take life one day at a time as susan Boyle would say "baby steps, baby steps!"

lots of support Sarah

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Hello Karen. It's good to hear that your mother seems to be settling in her new home, especially after all your worry over recent months. I'm sorry that your Granny is not doing so well though and hope that she isn't in pain or suffering a lot. you do have a lot on your plate. Sending sympathy and very best wishes that things improve all round. XXx

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Hello Karen,
It sounds like you have a good grip on everything, even though things are not ideal. I'm glad to hear your mother is reasonablly well settled in. I know how important that is - it's a comfort, isn't it?

Sorry to hear about your gran, just tell her she'll leave hospital once she's improved.

Bless you for such a positive attitude during a difficult time.

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
Oh Karen,

So sorry to hear that your Granny's not doing so well, yet pleased to hear your mum is settling.

Hang on in there. We're here when you need us,

Sending love,

xxxxxx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Karen,

I agree with Joanne, it does sound like you have a good grip on everything under these circumstances. Thank goodness you and your family are supporting one another - a real blessing:)

My hopes for you are that your mum remains settled in her new home and that your Gran remains pain free and peaceful.

As your you, I wish you strength and peace as you tread this part of your journey Karen.

Love

kazza73

Feb 11, 2009
Perthshire Scotland
thanks all!

Well the roller coaster continues with it's twists + turns!
There have been a few teething troubles with mum's new home- the main one being the chair they said they had wasn't suitable, I'm pleased to report mum now has a suitable chair + that has already made a positive difference.
On Thursday night dad had a call to say mum had fallen out of bed, she wasn't hurt but was quite distressed. Dad asked me to go in on Friday to check how mum was, she was very quiet but apart from that seemed fine. I spoke to a care assistant + nurse + explained that while in the unit mum had bedrails on her bed, the nurse is sorting out the relevant paperwork + rails are being put on the bed. Mum is not able to climb over the rails but they will stop her from rolling out of bed.

Granny is still with us. She ralleyed during the week + was deemed fit enough to be transferred to a care home yesterday. The decision was partly due to her bed being needed in the hospital. The move went well but sadly granny has gone down hill overnight + today she also had a fall out of bed + she has stopped eating. The care home are unsure if they can meet her needs + she may have to go back to hospital at the beginning of the week.

Life feels very much as if it is one step forward + 2 steps back just now. Every time the phone rings my heart stops wondering who the call will be about + what has happened now. Dad is struggling, trying to cope with both mum + granny moving into permanent care simultaneously, worrying about what is round the corner and facing the fact that in the near future he will lose his mum.

Sending love to you all. Thank you for your support.
Karen xxxx

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
Oh Karen,

My heart breaks for you. Just hearing you describe how you jump at the sound of the phone. I know that feeling so well, yet had forgotten..as time and situations changed with my parents. The darkest days were when dad was at home after having a stroke, bedbound and frustrated. Mum had moderate dementia but together, it was the worst situation.

Every time the phone rang I would answer it tentatively, so scared about what it might be this time...

How sad, and awful that they may move your granny again. I know she has to be where she can be cared for best, but all this moving about is terrible. Surely her needs can't be so high that the care home can't manage a little while longer? Sad to say it won't last forever, but it must just feel that she's being passed around until someone will have her. I imagine the hospital knew she was very sick, so either they made the wrong decision to discharge her, or they made the best decision and the CH don't want the responsibility. It all sounds very cold...

So I'm sending you a hug, and letting you know that I understand. I hope there is peace and calm for a few days at least, xxxxx