Mum has mid stage dementia

gittatsu

Jul 30, 2013
Hi I'm new here and I am comforted by the fact that other people are dealing with the same situation. Mum 84 went downhill from mild to mid stage dementia in a mater of three months. She virtually stopped eating and drinking and became so weak and frail that she started having multiple falls. She has been in and out of hospital twice within the last 2 months. Her assessments say she does not have capacity to live independently in her sheltered housing. We are looking for a care home for her. I just feel she will deteriorate even more in a home. She has been in hospital this second time for 4 weeks already and memory has declined all the more. She now has to be prompted to eat drink use the bathroom etc whereas she was alright to do things herself before going to hospital. I'm just worried and need assurance that we are on the right path

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
Hi gittatsu,
I have not found that mum has deteriorated while being in a care home, she goes regularly for respite but due to various things has been in for most of the last three months. The thing i understand is the worst possible event for dementia sufferers is being in hospital so it is not surprising your mum has gone downhill, She may recover some of what has been lost as she recovers physically, though that isn't certain.
So don't worry too much, I am very happy with the way mum is cared for by the staff in the home. Try to find somewhere that you like the staff as that is a lot more important than fancy surroundings.

Last edited:

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Gittatsu
Welcome to TP
I am sorry to hear that your Mum has had to be admitted to hospital, I assume due to falls?

The hospital enviroment can cause the dementia sufferer to dip Dementia wise, hopefully your mum will improve once she has been out a while

I understand you are worried about your Mum going into full time care, it was one of my fears
but their are good places out there and it is possible that that caring enviroment that these places who provide good carining care 24/7 you may start to see some improvents in your Mum

I am afraid it will mean visiting with and without appointments quite a few places till you find one that you feel is right for your Mum

XXXXXX

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Good morning Gittatsu and welcome to TP. I have no experience of care homes but I wish you well and hope you can find somewhere suitable for your mum. x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Gittatsu

My husband`s condition has not deteriorated more than would be expected after three and a half years in a care home and I really do feel so much depends on the quality of the home.

In the early days when I did feel his condition was deteriorating, it was put to me here on TP: `is he deteriorating because he is in a care home or is it because his condition has deteriorated that the decision for residential care had too be made.` I have never forgotten this and it has stood me in good stead.