Mum has loss the ability to pass urine.....

Sarahbrunell

Aug 19, 2015
My mum is in the advanced stages of Alzheimer's and suffers with full incontinence

But, we still take her to the toilet every couple of hours to encourage her to go

Mum has stopped passing urine in the day even though we give her drinks all day

She is now only going overnight. The GP etc says nothing they can do. Infection risks are high and a catheter will not work

Has anyone else had this problem or know of any medication to help?

Thanks

Last edited:

angelface

Oct 8, 2011
london
Has the gp said why she has stopped passing urine?
Surely if she is drinking all day but not going to the toilet, she would be very uncomfortable?
Or is she in a ch and staff are recording what she is given to drink rather than how much liquid is actually going down?
Sounds a very difficult situation to deal with.

Chaucer 1931

Mar 30, 2014
My mum has this issue too-the doctors say that it is a condition called Nocturia.

They have decided against treating it,as there are lots of factors contributing to the problem,but it is more common in Alz,

My mum has a permanent catheter due to chronic urine retention which again was connected to her brain function..
I'm sorry I can't offer any insight as for medication,but as long as your mum is passing urine-all be it at night,her urinary system is still working just the opposite time of day.

It is a worry for you though,and I would ask to speak to her GP to let them give you more detailed information..

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Sianey

Mar 23, 2015
Yorkshire
Your mum

Hi,

I'm sorry no one has replied, so I replied for it to go to the top of threads.

You must be concerned. Has the GP explained why there is nothing they can do? I've had to really push for answers to things as well regards my Mam. Is there a blockage, kidney problem or Mums bladder isn't working as it should? Maybe while Mum is asleep the urine comes out on its own, overnight I mean.

Sianey. X

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Sorry to hear this it must be most concerning.
Is she passing urine at night herself when taken to the toilet or do you mean when asleep.
If it is when she is asleep my only thought is that her body and therefore bladder is in more of a relaxed state.

Sianey

Mar 23, 2015
Yorkshire
Wee

Linbrusco,

That's the trouble with the Internet :D I couldn't think of what I meant but relaxed is it

X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suzanne F