Mum has had her brain scan - what next?

debbiea

May 22, 2006
My brother & sister took Mum for her brain scan today. However, they both told her that the outcome was that she was OK. What's going to happen when the results come through in 10 days? My sister thinks if she has a word with the hospital they won't tell Mum the results but I think that went out the window a long time ago and now they have to tell the patient everything. Am I right because Mum is going to get one big shock if there is something there.

mumof3

Feb 6, 2006
Hi debbiea

When my husband took my MIL for her scan the consultant told both of them that there was evidence of a stroke or strokes. He did not say at that time that my MIL had vascular dementia. To be honest at the time my MIL would not probably have taken the diagnosis in.

Now we are able to put my MIL's memory problems down to having the stroke which is very useful in her more lucid periods where she is obviously aware of her limitations.

Certainly no-one has ever told my MIL that she has vascular dementia and we do not ever intend to. We only found out that she had actually been diagnosed when I asked the CPN outright. I think if you explained your wishes and what you thought would be best for your mum to know that the staff would accommodate this. It would be interesting to hear other people's experiences.

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Our experience was similar. We (including mum) were told that mum had been having mini strokes, and they were causing her memory problems. Mum was upset, because although she knew that she was forgetful, she didn't know anything had been happening. We did not discuss the future.
Helen

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Hi Debbiea,
My Mom's scan ( MRI) actually showed no damage except for some brain shrinkage which one would expect with that aged person. The doc said that AD is diagnosed clinically ( by symptoms ) more that scans, the scans rule out other things/dimentias (like vascular dimentia). He actually has been a bit perplexed as to why her brain looks as good as it does but she has all the AD symptoms and all else has been ruled out. He talked to us about a PET scan but said it would put her thorugh some trauma and wouldn't change the treatment or outcome of whats happening to her. She is in advanced stages.
At first my Mom was very upset by the neurological visits and talking about her memory problems. Now she is pretty oblivious to it and if she takes offense, soon forgets it.
I hope all goes well for you !
Debbie

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Debiea
when my wife had her brain scan we were told quote:"There is some shrinkage of the brain,but no more than I would expect from a woman of her age"
Norman

Helena

May 24, 2006
If 10 consultants all told my Mother she had Dementia she would still insist they did not know what they were talking about and that she was fine but they are mad