Mum has gone to hospital

jellybaby999

Jul 4, 2014
Oxted, Surrey
Please can anyone give me any help or advice as my Mum has just gone into hospital with a broken neck of her femur. Mum has been living with me for just over a year in a specially built garden studio and had a fall over the weekend. As she already has had a hip replacement they are not keen to operate and are trying to mobilise her to see if it will heal by itself. Her dementia is suddenly become much worse as we expected and is very uncooperative with all the nurses, physios etc. I’m really worried about her and spending as much time as I can with her, my work have give me compassionate leave for now so I can do that for the time being. Any help would be much appreciated

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @jellybaby999

I'm so sorry to hear of your mothers fall and how confused she has become in hospital. It looks as if you are doing all you can and the company you work for are also doing what they can to support you.

I really don't know what to suggest to make it easier. Hopefully your mother`s confusion will settle as she heals.

Can you be sure she isn't in unnecessary pain? Have you discussed pain relief with the hospital staff.

My mother had shingles and while she was in hospital was very confused and her face looked tortured. She was discharged from hospital to recover at her care home because she was so agitated. On my first visit, I couldn't believe how tranquil she looked . When I made this comment to the care home staff they said she had been given a couple of paracetamol. That was all it took to help her .

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I had an awful time when Mum was in hospital recently, connected to pain relief. She was clearly in pain but the doctors were dismissive, even noting in Mum's file "Daughter thinks she can gauge mother's pain better than anyone else but she was told that we have pain charts". I could tell by the body language and look on my Mum's face that she was in pain but the doctor just noted that Mum "Has her usual distressed look" and did nothing :confused:

I think you're doing the best thing by being with your Mum as much as you can. Make the doctors aware of any changes in behaviour as if they don't know your Mum's usual baseline they won't know what is normal behaviour and what isn't. She may have delirium which will increase confusion but it's a good idea to get the doctors to consider whether more pain relief is needed. Also worth checking to see if there is a dementia team at the hospital as I found them really helpful and supportive, even though the doctor didn't take notice of them either!

Good luck and I hope your Mum is back home soon.