Mum has dementia

missie56

Jan 30, 2015
My stepfather passed away last June and since then we have realised how much mum s dementia is affecting her. She was diagnosed a year or so before his death but didnt seem too bad. She also moved a couple of months following his death as she was too vulnerable in the property she was living in. She is now in sheltered accommodation so has had to deal with lots of change over the last six months.

I work so at the moment am trying to balance time at home, with mum, work etc along with having guilt trips that im not doing enough for her. I pop in during some of my lunches to have a cuppa with her but cant be there all the time.. Some evenings I get phone calls from her asking where my stepfather is as she cant find him.. This tends to be when she is tired.

I am hoping that I may find some help here
thanks

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
My stepfather passed away last June and since then we have realised how much mum s dementia is affecting her. She was diagnosed a year or so before his death but didnt seem too bad. She also moved a couple of months following his death as she was too vulnerable in the property she was living in. She is now in sheltered accommodation so has had to deal with lots of change over the last six months.

I work so at the moment am trying to balance time at home, with mum, work etc along with having guilt trips that im not doing enough for her. I pop in during some of my lunches to have a cuppa with her but cant be there all the time.. Some evenings I get phone calls from her asking where my stepfather is as she cant find him.. This tends to be when she is tired.

I am hoping that I may find some help here
thanks

Two birds with one stone, this illness is just terrible and there is no cure for our guilt. Hope you find some help here. Do you think your mother is going to bed and then waking after an hour or two? I ask because when my mum is tired and ready for bed sometimes she just doesn't know what to do next and so I usually have to guide her gently to her bed.

missie56

Jan 30, 2015
Two birds with one stone, this illness is just terrible and there is no cure for our guilt. Hope you find some help here. Do you think your mother is going to bed and then waking after an hour or two? I ask because when my mum is tired and ready for bed sometimes she just doesn't know what to do next and so I usually have to guide her gently to her bed.

Thanks for your response. I think she drops off in front of TV and is confused when she wakes up. She doesnt seem to know where she is and looks for him which leads to agitation as she cant find him. I usually talk things over with her and suggest she goes to bed. Some evenings worse than others.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger