Mum has been taken off Aricept, but no replacement yet - any ideas?

PollyP.

Oct 8, 2009
Herefordshire UK
Hello all

My mum (100 this summer!) has been on Aricept since 2009 and was tolerating it very well, it certainly made a big difference to her within a month of starting it.

Last summer she began to get a bit aggressive and anxious (in her care home) and the consultant decided to stop the Aricept (last June).

I explained that I wasn't happy about Mum coming off the Aricept but was told that sometimes it can stimulate the brain too much, but they would see how she got on without it for a month or so and if needed would try something else (Memantine was mentioned), but that was over 7 months ago and nothing else has been tried apart from Lorazepam when she appears to be a bit stressed.

Has anyone else had a situation like this and could anyone let me know if another drug could be tried. Mum seems so unhappy and seems to be aware of her situation e.g. not remembering anything etc.

thanks in advance

Pauline

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
Get back on to the doctors. It may be that they have forgotten (many patients on their books) or that they were thinking no news is good news.
I hope that something happens soon for her.
Bless you for looking out for her so well.

PollyP.

Oct 8, 2009
Herefordshire UK
Thanks Suzy

Yesterday I managed to get through to the mental health team and she (nurse) told me that they were having a staff meeting this morning and all the team would be there. She promised that she would raise the subject with them. Hopefully I should hear back from them soon.

I'll get back on here as soon as I hear from them.

Many thanks

Pauline

PollyP.

Oct 8, 2009
Herefordshire UK
I had a phone call this morning from the new Nurse at the Memory Clinic and she told me that she had been out to the Care Home to see Mum.

We've arranged that we will meet up on Monday at the Care Home to further discuss Mum and possible different treatment.

I'm so pleased about this and hope that something positive will come from the meeting.

Pauline
xx

PollyP.

Oct 8, 2009
Herefordshire UK
Well things are looking up. I met up with the Memory Nurse who was really lovely and after having a chat with me, we both went up to Mum's unit and sat there for quite a long time, enjoying the company of Mum and the other residents (small unit, only 10 residents max).

Now the nurse has been in touch with the consultant re: Memantine for Mum, and has emailed me to let me know that it has been approved and that the prescription was being faxed through to the Doctor's surgery.

I'm hoping that the medication will help a little - I will get back to report the results when it has been given time to work.

So pleased that we have a really caring team who were quick to respond.

Pauline

Will a boo

Feb 20, 2016
My mum has recently been put on medication and I can't say that it's made any difference . Drugs won't make her cope so I want them stopped. Stopping medication is often done they shouldn't be continued if they aren't effective .They aren't always a good idea what difference do they make what about side effects . Glad your mum is being considered for something else.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Well things are looking up. I met up with the Memory Nurse who was really lovely and after having a chat with me, we both went up to Mum's unit and sat there for quite a long time, enjoying the company of Mum and the other residents (small unit, only 10 residents max).

Now the nurse has been in touch with the consultant re: Memantine for Mum, and has emailed me to let me know that it has been approved and that the prescription was being faxed through to the Doctor's surgery.

I'm hoping that the medication will help a little - I will get back to report the results when it has been given time to work.

Pauline

Great news Pauline, well done - they had obviously forgotten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crazy isn't it!

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland

Pauline

Great news Pauline. My OH meds are reviewed and changed over time.

Aisling

Maymab

Oct 8, 2013
Staffs
My husband didn't do well on Memantine alone but improved when Aricept was restored as well. ' They' won't always allow this though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Talking Point mobile app

PollyP.

Oct 8, 2009
Herefordshire UK
Well it's back to the drawing board!

Mum has not been good on the Memantine and the consultant has taken her off it.

She was very restless and not sleeping at night again.

I think it was stimulating her brain, as she was so aware of her surroundings (photos and things in her room, normally she doesn't even look at them) She also remembered the colour of a cardigan that she bought for my cousin about 20 years ago. I know she got it right because I took a DVD in for her to watch and she was in the DVD giving him the present ....
she told me the colour of the cardi before seeing the DVD!

If only there was a guaranteed medication to calm some-one instead of trial and error!

Thanks for reading

Pauline

SEASHELL

Account on hold
Sep 2, 2009
This drug nearly killed my mother (caused seizures) and made any condition she had much worse. She was taken off it and improved.

PollyP.

Oct 8, 2009
Herefordshire UK
Thanks for all your comments

An update on Mum

I visited Mum a few days ago and she seemed a lot calmer. She is now completely off the Memantine and no substitute has been found yet.

I know that she won't get better, but all I would hope for is that she is not tormented and anxious. Perhaps there isn't medication that can achieve that for my Mum.

((hugs to you all))

Pauline

Paradise08

Jun 19, 2014
Check out Nice guidelines

Check out Nice guidelines about the use of Aricept, I followed the link on this site. Although thee therapeutic effect may not be as effective as earlier on, it still appears to be of benefit and there is a significant decline when it is stopped. Antipsychotics such as Rispiridone can help with aggression / hallucinations.
I recently asked the psychiatrist to review the Aricept that my Mum has been taking and to consider prescribing Memantine. Memantine is prescribed for moderate to late stage dementia. My Mum had the Aricept reduced from 10mg to 5 mg for 1 week then 1 week with no araicept and starting on memantine on Monday. as suggested earlier, check Nice guidelines and take it from there.
Nice guidelines are interesting regarding use of cognitive assessment and provision of therapy.

PollyP.

Oct 8, 2009
Herefordshire UK
Thanks to all for the interesting and helpful comments.

The latest now is that the Consultant has suggested that Mum is tried on Melatonin. I've read about it and I'm pleased that it seems to be a natural medicine hopefully without any side effects.

They have said that if the Melatonin doesn't work they could try Mirtazapine.

Fingers crossed for the Melatonin.

I don't care if Mum is very sleepy but I do care if she is anxious and distressed. The care home staff (especially the night staff) are very good in dealing with Mum's restless nights. It seems that she gets up during the night on a regular basis, and they let her sit with them and make her a cuppa.

Have any of you experience with Melatonin of Mirtazapine?

Thanks
Pauline

polly1

Dec 8, 2011
Hampshire
I am in a quandary. My husband has PCA and has been on donezepil hydrochloride for 3 years. Just before Christmas his latest prescription was by a different drug company. Within 3 weeks of taking this version he started having seizures and more pronounced myoclonic jerks. Managed to get a neurological appointment and he was prescribed Epilim, and it has been left up to me to decide if my husband starts it. He is now back on his regular make donezepii since 21st Feb, but is still having seizures although not as many. Before I start him on the Epilim I am going to reduce then stop the donezepil to see if seizures stop. Really don't want to put him on the anti convulsants if he does not need them.
Has anyone else ever experienced this side effect?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mshaw6