Mum has been in hospital 10 weeks

susiewoo

Oct 28, 2006
Bromley Kent
and has gradually lost the ability to do most anything. I go into see her nearly everyday and today she was unable to undress herself or follow the simplest of commands.
Is this due to the progression of the disease or the 100mgs per day of quetiapine in her system?
who knows....I saw the consultant yesterday who agreed that the effects of the medication were causing some problems....she is in danger of falling over..she has dropped numerous cups of tea in her lap.
tonight she was balancing a piece of cake in one hand and a cup and saucer in the other......try it and see how you manage! she is on an observation ward after all..perhaps they use these techniques to test how the patient copes.
I wonder how Mum would be without any sedative on board and the staff keep telling me how agitated she gets...just never happens to be when I am there!
good news....the funding panel has accepted her and now we enter the waiting list for EMI residential. plus we have a change in social worker who is much more experienced...I hope?!!

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Can’t answer your question , but pleased to read

the funding panel has accepted her and now we enter the waiting list for EMI residential. plus we have a change in social worker who is much more experienced...I hope?!!

also to give you a ((hug))

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hi susiewoo

i often wonder how my mum would react without all the meds they give her she has things to buck her up things to keep her quiet things to make her sleep today when dad visited she was bent over so far her head was nearly on the floor and yet yesterday she was sitting up fine and yet the staff insist she's had no meds different:confused:
I suppose we put our trust in them and just hope they know what theyre doing!
all the best with the placement.
take care

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi susiewoo
Good to hear your mums on the waiting list.....hope you don't have to wait too much longer....
My mums in hospital at the moment and the nurses tell me she's like a different lady when I'm there.......boy....is she a difficult and unco-operative patient!!

Donna before mum went into hospital i found some days she would walk around nearly bent double.....the next day she'd be upright :confused: but I did find on the days she was bent double she woke up in a bad mood.....when she had an upright day she'd woken up in a good mood!

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
thanks for that mel,

she seems to be depressed again lately so ive asked if they could perhaps try another antidepressant as the last one lifted her mood to much:confused:
she keeps saying she wants to come home so i was wondering if perhaps she was having a down day?
seems like that could be the answer.
cheers x

cynron

Sep 26, 2005
east sussex
quitepine

Susiewoo.
My husband was also on this drug but i have asked the G P at his home if we could try to get him off it as he is immoble now and more calm,but still on lots of other meds.He agreed to give it a try and has already reduced the dose to half now 25 in A M and 50 at night. We may be able to wean him altogether.

Regards Cynron x x

susiewoo

Oct 28, 2006
Bromley Kent
I spoke to the doctor yesterday and she agreed that Mum was too sedated and could lead to other problems...like falling over and breaking her hip! drug reduced at night by 25mgs but will take a while to make any difference.
went to see her tonight and pupils pinpoint and she is staring into space and reacts only when spoken to several times. she seems to be doing everything in slow motion.