Mum has badly fractured her right hip

CeliaThePoet

Dec 7, 2013
Buffalo, NY, USA
Lori, you may want to start your own thread

But I will say that delirium and dementia progression are different and hard to tell apart initially; hospital staff are not great on this, in my experience with my mother. Read up on the difference, as it may help guide you.

Dibs

Jun 19, 2009
Hampshire
Today mum goes back to her carehome. I am so relieved. They came out and assessed her and are happy to have her back to a newly decorated room!!!:)
She would have been in hospital a month tomorrow. She still isn't walking but hopefully the carehome with lots of encouragement will get her up on her feet.
Apart from the odd blip overall her care was good. I was able to observe whilst visiting how busy the nurses are and the occasions when they were short staffed but the nurses were very dementia aware on the ward.
I am now looking forward to getting back to a normal routine as I visited every day and found it very tiring but wouldn't have had it any other way. xx

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Thank You For The Update

Brilliant news :) ! Dibs & so pleased for you both & the C H sounds lovely & caring :) Hope your Mum settles back okay & likes her *new room*

Best Wishes too you both

Love Grove x x

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I am so pleased for you. It's taken a long time but it's good that your mother will be back in her old home. The carers there will know her and that will help her settle back in. x

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
That is good news. A huge relief for you I'm sure. I feel I have an idea of what you have been through, as it sounds so similar to what happened to us with mum.... Well apart from the dementia trained nurses in the hospital. Mums were no where near being able to even tick the boxes to say they understood what dementia meant in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Mums were no where near being able to even tick the boxes to say they understood what dementia meant in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Trouble is, even after training, many people still don't understand the practical realities. It's common for people to say e.g., 'Well, if they can't remember this or that, it's simple enough to write it down for them'.
They don't realise that the person will very likely forget to look at what is written, or that it has been written down in the first place. And that even if they do see it, they will very likely forget what it said so quickly, and before they've had time to do whatever it was telling them to do.

geum123

May 20, 2009
Oh I'm so pleased Dibs. :)
You were a bit worried that they wouldn't have her back I think?
Oh and her rooms been redecorated too.
That will be nice for her.
I'm sure she'll flourish in familiar surroundings and amongst staff who know her.
Fingers crossed.:)