Mum has badly fractured her right hip

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
It's good to read that your mum is doing well Dibs. Take care of yourself too.

geum123

May 20, 2009
I hope your Mum is still making progress Dibs, and also you have had chance to
rest a little. :) xxxx

Dibs

Jun 19, 2009
Hampshire
I visited mum yesterday she was fast asleep and looked comfortable. I fed her her tea she didn't eat it all but she drank two glasses of orange squash then went back to sleep. I'm pleased she is sleeping as I believe it helps with healing. One of the orthopaedic team came and checked mum over whilst I was there and said considering what she has been through she doing ok and he explained in detail the operation.
I spoke to mum's home yesterday I really hope she will be able to go back there. xx

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Don't loose too much hope if initially they say they can't take her unless she is walking.... This happened to mum. She refused to walk for the physios... But paced the ward during the night, when no one (who mattered) noticed... :)

Mums care home were willing to take her back but only if she was walking. Eventually after many stressful days, they did take her back even though they didn't actually see her walking.

It took a while, I arranged 1:1 for the first week as staff levels were low due to sickness, but the care home have managed to give mum confidence to walk and now, if she wanted to, mum could walk all day... She chooses to rest during the day and walk most of the night :D

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

geum123

May 20, 2009
I hope your Mum has had another good day today Dibs,
and it was good that you got to talk to the orthopaedic team.
Will they arrange physio for your Mum?

I'm hoping you are ok. xxxxx

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
She sounds as though she's doing well Dibs, she's got over the dodgy bit of the operation itself. I know with hips they like to get people moving straight away, but it must be difficult to persuade someone with dementia to do that if they are worried it might hurt. I'm sure the orthopaedic team will have dealt with this before. Might you be able to be there to help persuade her to walk when they want her to? It's quite early days anyway really isn't it. xxx

Maddcow

Aug 11, 2014
Snap!

Mum has had her operation it went well but she lost some blood afterwards due to low blood count. When I arrived she was sleepy but gave me a lovely smile and kiss and was more responsive than I thought she would be.:) She had a milkshake and cake and then went back to sleep.
I'm now going to take one day at a time and not think too far ahead.
So far I'm pleased with the care she is receiving they do seem to be very dementia aware which is good but I shall be watching closely as my mum is very precious to me.
Going to try and relax now and have something to eat as when I'm stressed I can't face food. xx

My mum fractured her hip and upper arm following a fall in her care home last week, and your comments almost mirror exactly how I'm feeling right now, so you're not alone. Sadly that's where the similarity ends as Mum is in a huge new hospital 30 miles from me and although she seems fairly bright and cheerful, and is cared for quite well, their dementia programme (for which the hospital has won awards) isn't in place. I visited this afternoon having been promised I'd see a doctor-no doctor. Mum is prescribed codeine to which she is intolerant-only a doctor can change this-no doctor. I was asked to leave after 15 mins as they wanted to clean her ward, and I wanted to fill in a form all about Mum so they could understand her-no form, as they were too busy to find it. The only thing keeping me going is that I have done all I can and I have to look after myself otherwise there will be no-one to speak up for my Mum.....good luck!

Dibs

Jun 19, 2009
Hampshire
Sorry to hear that your mum has fractured her hip and upper arm Maddcow. It is very stressful when our loved ones are in hospital, but we must also look after ourselves too.
I visited mum this evening and fed her tea and she ate a banana. She was awake talking to herself and laughing last night so she has been very sleepy today she does seem quite content in herself not at all distressed only when personal care is given and when they move her in the bed. xx

Dibs

Jun 19, 2009
Hampshire
Mum sat on the edge of the bed today with the help from physios. She is eating well.She ate all her tea and is drinking on her own.:) I had a lovely visit with her she is definitely going in the right direction I hope it continues. x

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Dibs, I'm just gonna stick my tuppenceworth in here before reading through, as the same thing happened to my hubby in May, this year. 2nd May (a Saturday), he went into hospital after falling outside and breaking his left hip. 4th May, (Monday), he had the op. Tuesday, it was all a team of staff could do to keep him in bed at the hospital! He didn't even know he'd been operated on. (Seriously. You couldn't make it up)!

Month later, after a couple of assessments at the hospital, a care home was found who were happy to take him in. He's been there ever since, and they tell me they love him. That's the staff saying that.

I do hope you're encouraged by this. I hope your Mum comes through everything safely. I'll be keeping an eye on updates. Ever need a shoulder, I'm happy to chat. Just send me a PM whenever you like

This is a tough time, I know. I like many others have been through it and seen our loved ones come through and walk again. Feeding and hygiene are taken care of, and the lives of our loved ones are made better by the care given by the staff. I could never hope to be able to repay them for that goodness. I truly wish you the same goodness. Much love to you.

Dibs

Jun 19, 2009
Hampshire
Mum's still doing well with food and overall I'm happy with the care that she is receiving.
Today the physio is supposed to call me to discuss mum. So far they have managed to get her sitting on the side of the bed. Mum does scream out when being moved but this is something she does in her carehome when receiving personal care. I've been there when the physios have moved mum to sitting on the side of the bed and also they have managed this without my being there.
What I'm trying to say is they know mum cannot take instruction but does respond positively to kindness I'm just worried that they won't put in enough effort to get mum back on her feet. Has anyone felt the same with regard to this? xx

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I'm just worried that they won't put in enough effort to get mum back on her feet. Has anyone felt the same with regard to this? xx

I very definitely felt like this

But in our case, the physios already had, in my opinion, a "what's the point" attitude and were quite brisk with mum.

They could not get mum to move at all. I managed to get her moving, but she was in such pain that it was pointless until mum had her painkillers.... And they were not always given in time to work before the physios arrived....

It wasn't until mum was back at care home that she was given painkillers at the right time, before she would trust enough to walk.

It took the carers 6 weeks or so, but mum is now walking

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Dibs

Jun 19, 2009
Hampshire
Mum has now been in hospital two weeks.
She is being hoisted into the chair usually after her lunch but apart from that the physios still haven't got mum to stand. My concern is her legs will become weak which will make standing more difficult.
Also her sugar levels suddenly went high as mum cannot swallow the whole tablet. It's in her notes that the tablet be crushed and they have crushed it and given it with food but I know that on occasion she hasn't taken it. When I arrived yesterday mum was still in bed looking uncomfortable I called the nurse over and asked why mum wasn't in the chair to be told they were short staffed. I wasn't happy at all. Mum was also very tired and for the first time didn't want to eat her tea I managed to get her to eat a banana and some rice pudding. I think this could be linked with her sugar levels being high at the moment. I will see how she is today but I'm going to request a meeting to discuss mum as I feel if this continues they will want to discharge mum to a nursing home without giving her the chance to go back to her care home. :(

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Sorry.................

Dibs that your Mum was left in bed & her sugar levels were high :( sorry no real words of advice etc ( as do not have any experience ) However I wanted too reply too show my support & also bump*** your Thread** up !

Agree it is a good idea too have a ward meeting** & good luck with that & hope it is positive ( just a thought > do you know if the Ward Staff are talking too the C H Manger etc ? Would have thought they would have done as it is good practice ? )

Sending much support , love & hugs

Thinking of you both & positive thoughts for improvement for your Mum & Physio etc can start soon

Grove x x x

lori107

Nov 4, 2014
Fractured hip

My father in law has dementia and had carers going in twice a day, although it had got to the stage where it wasn't enough but he refused to let the flat go. On Tuesday evening we had a call from Careline to say he had fallen and they had called an ambulance. He hadn't got his pendant round his neck as he had forgotten to put it on so he crawled on his tummy to his bedroom to sound the alarm. We waited Almost 2 hours for the ambulance to arrive. When he got to hospital my husband waited until they had done the xray and admitted him. They said it was a bad break and that he needed surgery. His dementia was at the moderate level, he couldn't remember names or anything in the present, couldn't make decisions, cognitive thinking wasn't there anymore. But he could have a reasonable conversation for a short time. He had surgery on Wednesday and at no point were we told this could accelerate the dementia. When hubby visited yesterday afternoon fil had no idea who he was, he couldn't hold a cup or spoon and was making incoherent sentences. He was foamy round the mouth and when hubby asked if he was dehydrated the staff said they would make sure he got a drink at meal times and if he wasn't drinking enough they would put in a drip line.
This morning I rang the ward to see how he was they said he was being very uncooperative and kicking and throwing stuff. He was throwing the water beaker when they put it to his mouth and he had pulled out the drip he was on. I asked if this was the effects of the anesthetic and they said they don't know and it could be the alzheimers accelerating. We are devastated. We asked if he could be moved to the geriatric ward because of the alzheimers but they said no. What do we do. We have put a reservation on a care home but at this rate he will never leave hospital. They haven't even been able to get him out of bed yet. We signed no consent forms and as he is almost blind he wouldn't have either, have the hospital not got a duty of care to give us warning this could happen to dementia patients

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Anesthetic affects people different ways.
Your FIL has had a big shock to his system with the fall, the pain & the operation. Give the anesthetic chance to come out of his system.
Hip surgery is always a major thing for the elderly.

geum123

May 20, 2009
Hi Dibs,
I'm really sorry that the hospital seem to be failing your Mum. :(
What an awful worry.
Would there be the possibility of the physios visiting the care home?
Would they be amenable to that?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamieF7