Mum has badly fractured her right hip

Dibs

Jun 19, 2009
Hampshire
My lovely mum had a fall at her care home early evening and has badly fractured her right hip. She is in our local hospital. I'm so upset. I know the operation will have a huge risk factor. She is 86 and I feel this is all too much for her to have to deal with.
I had a call yesterday tea time to say she had fallen but was ok but today it is so much worse.:(

poster

Dec 28, 2011
My lovely mum had a fall at her care home early evening and has badly fractured her right hip. She is in our local hospital. I'm so upset. I know the operation will have a huge risk factor. She is 86 and I feel this is all too much for her to have to deal with.
I had a call yesterday tea time to say she had fallen but was ok but today it is so much worse.:(

Sorry to hear this. Is there any way you can go and see your mum?

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Your poor mum. I hope she is as comfortable as possible for now, and that the operation goes well. Do try to get some sleep yourself so that you will be able to support and be there for her during her recovery.
Thinking of you.

Dibs

Jun 19, 2009
Hampshire
Thank you.
I haven't slept very well. I arrived at the hospital at the same time as mum and stayed with her until she went upto the ward. It is so difficult as she cannot take instruction I went with her to X-Ray department and was able to stay with her.
A&E were very good with mum I only hope that continues throughout her stay. xx

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Dibs, I'm so sorry. Your poor mum. It sounds as if your mum is being well looked but I can imagine how worried you are.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I am so sorry - what a worry for you. However just wanted to say that my mother broke a hip at over 90 and did recover well and quite quickly, so it can happen. Hospital staff were very good with her, too, and her dementia was pretty bad by then. Do hope you will find the same.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Oh Dibs :(

Mum broke her leg, not her hip, but it was a bad break and needed pinning, so I can totally understand your worries xxxx

Mum didn't thrive in hospital, but once back at her care home with their wonderful TLC she is back walking and doing her usual nightly pacing with a Zimmer frame

A very stressful time for you all. Holding your hand xxxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello

Thank you.
I haven't slept very well. I arrived at the hospital at the same time as mum and stayed with her until she went upto the ward. It is so difficult as she cannot take instruction I went with her to X-Ray department and was able to stay with her.
A&E were very good with mum I only hope that continues throughout her stay. xx

Hello Dibs , so sorry too read this about your poor Mum & poor you & can understand how upset you are feeling Pleased tho you arrived at the same time as the ambulance etc & A & E were very good with your Mum & sending positive vibes the good care continues throughout your Mum's stay > Do you know if it is a Butterfly Scheme Hospital ? Hope it is

Thinking of you both

Love & Hugs

Grove x x

Dibs

Jun 19, 2009
Hampshire
I spent all day with mum yesterday. She slept most of the time which was good. She is attached to an IV drip which I understand is because she is diabetic. They hope to operate today as they ran out of time due to the surgeon doing a complex operation.
I am dreading mum having this operation i just feel that this is all too much for her. They have a DNR in place which I agree with as it wouldn't be fair on mum to try and resuscitate her should something go wrong. I am absolutely heartbroken my mum has to go through this. I feel that this operation is going to change things for mum. xx

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Dibs, I can understand how frightened you are about your mum's surgery. Thinking of you and your mum.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm sorry I missed your original post. I hope your mum is soon back in her care home and responds after her operation. Thinking of you both.

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
Oh Dibs I'm so sorry to hear that your mum has broken her hip. I do hope that the operation goes well today, and can fully understand your worries for her, bless her. I'll be thinking of you both today, love and hugs, Jennie xxxx

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Keeping everything crossed for your mum today Dibs. I hope the operation goes well and that your mum recovers quickly, and that none of your fears are realised. Big hugs xx

geum123

May 20, 2009
Oh Dibs,
I've only just seen your post.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum.
You must be besides yourself with worry.
I hope the hospital have managed to keep her comfortable and pain free.
Keeping you all in my thoughts today. xxxxxxx

Dibs

Jun 19, 2009
Hampshire
Mum has had her operation it went well but she lost some blood afterwards due to low blood count. When I arrived she was sleepy but gave me a lovely smile and kiss and was more responsive than I thought she would be.:) She had a milkshake and cake and then went back to sleep.
I'm now going to take one day at a time and not think too far ahead.
So far I'm pleased with the care she is receiving they do seem to be very dementia aware which is good but I shall be watching closely as my mum is very precious to me.
Going to try and relax now and have something to eat as when I'm stressed I can't face food. xx