Mum has Alzheimers and is blind

wabak1

Aug 12, 2022
Hi there
This is my first posting, and hope someone can offer some useful words of wisdom.
My mum (who is 92) has had Alzheimers for a few years now and is almost blind. Recently my Dad (who is 94) fell and is now in hospital following hip surgery. Until then he was Mum's main carer and lived four doors down from us. As a result Mum has moved in with me and my husband until things are settled enough to go back to some kind of normality (albeit probably with some help provided).
Since being with us I can see more clearly now what she is like. She has no energy or enthusiasm, takes ages to get up in the morning, or do anything, and frequently has accidents in the toilet. She sleeps most of the day. She has always been a stubborn lady, but this illness makes it more so, and she refuses to let me help her. She is now in an environment that is not her home, and is missing her husband of 65 years, so she is clearly going to be affected by all this, and we have had several tears, as she doesnt remember where he is or why she is here.
I'm trying to be patient and do what I can but I am feeling helpless and a bit lost as to how best to look after her. Because she is blind, there is nothing for her to see or do. She doesnt watch TV and cant hear any music (she is also very deaf, but wont admit it!)
Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @wabak1 and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. This is a friendly and supportive community of people who have experience and knowledge of many aspects of dementia

I am sorry to hear about your situation. It is often when carers live with dementia everyday that the extent of the challenges faced become clear. I don't have anything useful to add. I do wonder though how much things can return to what they were, given your Dad's injury and the need to recuperate. It does seem likely that a significant amount of professional help will be required.

I have found this article about dementia and blindness which may give you some ideas for your Mum.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kez15