Mum had a Fall - Some Practical Advice Please

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
Hi all, on the scrounge for good advice again.

Mum (85 with AD for last 6 years) had a fall during the night. We think she got out of bed and went downstairs, slipped on the stairs, and has brusied her back quite badly and has carpet burns. She may have slipped or may have had a seizure - just dont know. The doctor has been out and fortunately nothing is broken but she is very battered and bruised and in a lot of pain. Just helping her to the loo caused her to be sick, just because of the pain. Her confusion is greatly increased and she is sleeping all the time.

It hurts her to be anything other than horizontal and doctor suspects she will want to stay in bed for several days. So now for the advice and suggestions ....

I have managed to get a little (very little) food into her but she doesnt want to drink as it means sitting up. Cant do anything today, but any suggestions for a good drinking cup that can be used laying down. I am well aware of the importance of keeping her hydrated.

Doc has suggested a visit from OT when she is a bit better as he feels she may not be keen to get mobile again. This is a bit of a worry as she has become increasingly less mobile in the last few months and now uses a wheelchair for any distance more than a few hundred yards.

Any suggestions or shared experiences or things I should be considering welcome.

Oh and of course just to add to the guilt factor. Eldest woke up at 3 this morning when she heard some banging and wailing. Came down and checked the dog was OK and then again about an hour later when she heard more banging. Presumed it was something outside, but now realise it was mum. Poor lady must have been stranded and injured downstairs and somehow got herself back up stairs and into bed. I have an ominous feeling that we are about to hit another stage of the illness.:(

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Oh dear, your poor mother (and poor you as well). I can't suggest a specific cup but have found "bendy" straws quite helpful in this situation, particularly when placed in the spout of a bottle.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
I hope your mum rallies a bit after her fall, Sue..it's a good idea to get the OT in to assess to see if there's anything they provide to help make life a little less fraught.

Someone on the forum recently got her mum to drink using a small water bottle..you know..the ones used by sports people with the pull up top. It would be ok for cold or luke warm drinks, I think..

Love xx

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
Someone on the forum recently got her mum to drink using a small water bottle..you know..the ones used by sports people with the pull up top. It would be ok for cold or luke warm drinks, I think..

Oo thats a good idea. Will try and get one this evening.

foxhound

Jun 26, 2008
I would go with the bendy straw - also try and give food with a high liquid content - ice cream for example.

A couple of other ideas:

For the short term, see if yr OT can rev up a wheeled commode - basically a wheelchair with a hole in the seat which you can wheel over the loo.

Ask yr GP if a short course of a really strong painkiller would risk increasing confusion. If not, may be a good idea.

A good OT or pyshio can be an utterly brilliant confidence giver - a bad one just discouraging - cross yr fingers and hope you get a good one!

The last thing I want to do is sound like a doom-monger, but it has to be said that in my mothers case big falls did bring confusion in their wake. You may be right in steeling yourself for a tough time.

Good luck.

jayne-b

Sep 7, 2009
Staffs
Sue, sorry to hear of your Mum's fall. Hope she is more comfortable soon.

Drinking, Mom found the straw confusing, a lot of sucking sometimes chewing with little gain and normal drinks bottles gave her too much fluid which lead to her choking and put her off. Best we found was a childs sipping cup and the are good and leak proof when lay down, the type with the perforated spout. This was suitable for Mom as she did not recognise it as a childs cup and could also grasp the handle.

Don't know if you can get anything like Ensure drink or similar, has all nutrients in and is good when having trouble eating.

jxx