Mum going into respite for the first time.

DancerKaz

Jan 10, 2016
Oxfordshire
I have to tell Mum on Thursday that she is going into respite for the first time in just over a week's time. The assistant manager of the care home is coming to do an assessment in the afternoon so think morning will be best time to talk about it. Mum has mixed dementia, very poor memory but otherwise normal conversations but cannot be left on her own. (She is also 94 and unsteady on her feet).

I am planning to sell it as a luxury holiday retreat - it is a brand new care home and really luxurious inside. Also offering to visit before her stay if she wants to.

Mum goes to two different Day Centres - 4 times a week now. She took to these really well and the care home will take her to these still while we are away so she will still have a bit of normality while we are away.

Any advice would be appreciated as I am dreading it! Really think she will kick off.

Thank you in advance.

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Or essential works being carried out to the house? Water off/no heating/floors up/lots of noise and dust/redecoration...

DancerKaz

Jan 10, 2016
Oxfordshire
Thanks for the replies/ideas. Telling her GP advised it is a good idea, not thought of that. Having work done in the house wont work as just moved into a brand new house, although it is in the process of being re-decorated!! but good idea for the future - thank you. :)