Mum going into full time care, maybe!

mandyp

Oct 20, 2004
Glasgow
Dad is finally being persuaded that it's really too much for him to take care of Mum on his own now.

Sadly Mum's needs are too much for him in conjuction with his own health problems.

He's had a letter to say that if Mum goes into full time care and he has assets over £22000 then he will have to pay for Mum's care.

He's a bit worried as to how much this is likely to be, the useless social worker that he has (who has provided him with nothing in the way of any support whatsoever) is on holiday till next week so he can't find out until then what this means.

I wondered if someone could give me any idea what this means, the only asset Dad has is their house. He has no savings.

I believe Mum's care allowance will stop going to Dad and would go towards paying for her care but other than that I'm not sure how he is supposed to pay for it.

I just wondered what other people's experiences were.

It's all so hard, I hate the thought of Mum ending her days in care, but I feel I've lost Mum already and don't want to lose Dad too. He's so upset just now, the injustice of this disease is awful.

Again, thanks for any advice.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Mandy,

This must have been a very difficult decision for your dad, as I can recall your previous posts about his dedication to your mum.

I'm reluctant to offer advice about financial matters as I know that you're in Scotland and the rules and regulations may be somewhat different there.

I would suggest looking at this area of the Alzheimer's Scotland website that deals with money and legal issues:

http://www.alzscot.org/pages/info/moneyandlegalissues.htm

Also, they offer a Welfare Rights Service which looks excellent, so you might want to contact them directly for specific advice about your mum and dad's situation:

http://www.alzscot.org/pages/regions/welfare.htm

Also, given your mum's high levels of need, I would always keep NHS Continuing Care in mind.

Take care,

Christinec

Aug 8, 2007
Hi Mandy,

I have had incredible support from Alzheimers Scotland and see Sandy has recommended that you contact them.

It may help you also to look at this link for the Age Concern Scotland factsheet on Local Authority Charging Procedures for care homes. I see from previous posts that your Mum is quite young but the information in this may help you. It says at the top of the Factsheet that it is for people over 60.

http://www.ageconcernandhelptheaged...-authority-charging-procedures-for-care-homes

Wishing you all the best

Kez

May 12, 2008
London
Hi there!
I know what you are going through.Mum is 65 and just found out 2 weeks ago she has to go into a home. It is heartbreaking but Dad cannot care for her. She has now lost mobility and is in the advanced stages. The last 3 months have seen such a dramatic down turn. I hate leaving her in the hospital and would love her to come home but I know it is the right thing!

We are seeing the social worker on Monday to sort things out so I will let you know how I go. I know it is such a worry with money but tell your Dad not to worry.

Thinking of you
x