Mum going into care

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Bud's Mum, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Bud's Mum

Bud's Mum Registered User

Mar 18, 2015
    Oxford
    After years of looking after mum at home we have decided it's time for her to go into a care home. My brother lives with her and is over 60 and so the house is disregarded. She has savings and will be initially be a privately paying resident.My brother is not coping with the situation and is having telephone counselling. One of his main worries is that he has no income, will lose carers allowance and is very worried about whether he will be able to afford to stay in the house. Mum had been financially helping him run his car and paid all the utility bills. We both have Enduring power of Attorney for mum. We could sell the property but obviously that capital would be to use for her needs. I would be grateful for any thoughts please or suggestions.

2. rainbowcat

rainbowcat Registered User

Oct 14, 2015
    Female
    He will need to claim a benefit, such as Job Seeker's Allowance or maybe Emplyment Support Allowance if he's struggling with his mental health, or, if old enough, some form of state pension.