1. Q&A: Medication - Thurs 22nd November, 3-4pm

    Do you have questions about medication and drug treatments for dementia? There's no drug to cure dementia yet, but it's often possible to relieve some symptoms.

    Our next expert Q&A will be hosted by Simon from our Knowledge Services team. He will be answering your questions on Thursday 22nd November from 3-4pm.

    You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Mum going into care

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Bud's Mum, Jun 13, 2018.

  1. Bud's Mum

    Bud's Mum Registered User

    Mar 18, 2015
    After years of looking after mum at home we have decided it's time for her to go into a care home. My brother lives with her and is over 60 and so the house is disregarded. She has savings and will be initially be a privately paying resident.My brother is not coping with the situation and is having telephone counselling. One of his main worries is that he has no income, will lose carers allowance and is very worried about whether he will be able to afford to stay in the house. Mum had been financially helping him run his car and paid all the utility bills. We both have Enduring power of Attorney for mum. We could sell the property but obviously that capital would be to use for her needs. I would be grateful for any thoughts please or suggestions.
  2. rainbowcat

    rainbowcat Registered User

    Oct 14, 2015
    He will need to claim a benefit, such as Job Seeker's Allowance or maybe Emplyment Support Allowance if he's struggling with his mental health, or, if old enough, some form of state pension.

Share This Page