Mum giving up

andypandy

Jun 28, 2015
Mum is in hospital at the moment. Started with trauma when her catheter was removed she had severe bleeding and a water infection. Since she was admitted she's gone downhill. She can bearly lift her head she's refusing medication, she won't let them take bloods for her INR she has vascular and another stroke will probably end it all. How do you reason with someone with this horrible disease that they need to take their meds. I don't know what to do.

User

Mar 23, 2015
What a horrible situation. Deep sympathies; I should think that most who post here will, in one way or another, have difficulties in the same way. That will not help you at all, of course, and I hope this reply isn't too awfully disappointing. Have you had a proper talk with the doctors about what to do? Perhaps someone will be able to help from here, I do hope so.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Andy, I'm so sorry to hear about your mum and the hospital stay and the medical issues. I hope you are able to get some sleep, eat something, and maybe take a short walk and a deep breath.

Do you have PoA for your mother, and can you talk to the doctors, nurses, and staff about what treatment they propose and what can and cannot be done for your mother? Perhaps if you had some clearer information, it might help you. In the States we would say, request a Care Conference, but I'm not sure if that's the right term; hope you get the idea.

I'm so sorry. Hang in there and come here anytime to vent or update us, or not, as you need. Thinking of you.

andypandy

Jun 28, 2015
Mum is trying to hit now too. 2 weeks ago she was ok, she was talking (usual gobbledygook but talking) tired and having to be wheeled around instead of using her frame but was able to stay awake enough to see a visit from us at the CH.
She tried to hit me on my last visit albeit very slow motion as she has no energy and now she's doing it with the nurses. I can't believe we have 'lost' mum to point she doesn't function at all in the space of less than 2 weeks. Don't get me wrong she wasn't fine before but she was still mum some of the time we still had a smile when we walked in even if she didn't remember exactly who we were she still knew we were someone who visited everyday. Now she can't even open her eyes, the only word she seems able or willing to say is 'no' and now she's lashing out on top of it all.
I'm devastated.