Mum gets hallucinations that people are breaking in at night

Naomi Walsh

Jul 14, 2020
My mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's just before lockdown but has been been living with the condition for some time. She is 80 and lives with my dad who has a medical condition of his own.
For the last four weeks or so she has been very concerned all through the night that there are burglars coming into the house. This means that both her and my dad are getting little sleep. I should add here that she is almost deaf and would not be able to hear these sounds.
She has been put on sleeping tablets and this has helped. We have also ruled out a urine infection.
On the last conversation with the doctor they stated that this is just something which happens.
Can anyone advise how we can help manage this so that both my mum and dad are able to get good sleep?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome @Naomi Walsh.

I think that is all too common, certainly it has been a feature with my wife who thought people in the room were trying to murder her last night.

I found that these issues were reduced by finding an antidepressant that helped with depression, anxiety and sleep. It's worth talking to the GP about that. It's worth checking whether things like reflections of hanging dressing gowns are being mistaken for people in the room as that can easily happen in subdued light.

I, like many others, had to move into a different bedroom from my wife due to the fact that I wasn't getting enough sleep. I stay with my wife until she is settled and then move to a different room.

Naomi Walsh

Jul 14, 2020
Thank you for your reply.
I will ask dad to check the room for anything which may look as if a person could be in the room.
I have found that the doctors have not been very supportive. We are currently getting a power of attorney sorted so that I can speak to her doctors as I feel that they are fobbing off my dad, but they won't speak to me. I won't be fobbed off!

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I will ask dad to check the room for anything which may look as if a person could be in the room.
I have found that the doctors have not been very supportive. We are currently getting a power of attorney sorted so that I can speak to her doctors as I feel that they are fobbing off my dad, but they won't speak to me. I won't be fobbed off!

Welcome from me too @Naomi Walsh If your dad hasn't already done so it's worth removing any mirrors in the room as these can also make it appear to someone with dementia that someone else is there when in fact it is a reflection. Good on you for not being fobbed off, unfortunately from experience it is common when dementia is involved.