Mum forgets her surroundings

Jane898

Mar 28, 2015
Hello all, I'm aware that this is a common problem but I was wondering if anyone can offer any advice on this. Out of the blue during the week my mum forgets where she is. She spends all of her time at home with my dad but out of the blue on occasions she demands to go home I have had my dad calling me trying to calm my mum down I have even witnessed it myself she becomes very distressed. Then a couple of hours sometimes minutes she will be herself again. This is such a difficult situation any help would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015
Hi Jane,

Sorry to hear about your problem. My dad also does this. He has good days and bad days. On bad days, he often has no clue where he is, who we are, etc. and wants to go "home". At first we tried to reason with him and explain to him that he was at home, but that didn't work. If anything, it made him more distressed.

Now we just smile and say he'll be going home soon, then distract him with food or something until the mood has passed. That works a lot better.

Good luck.

LS

snoggy1one

Jun 4, 2012
Manchester
Hello all, I'm aware that this is a common problem but I was wondering if anyone can offer any advice on this. Out of the blue during the week my mum forgets where she is. She spends all of her time at home with my dad but out of the blue on occasions she demands to go home I have had my dad calling me trying to calm my mum down I have even witnessed it myself she becomes very distressed. Then a couple of hours sometimes minutes she will be herself again. This is such a difficult situation any help would be great.

Hi I just wanted to say that I regularly experience this problem with my mum. She has been in a care home now for several years and still has times when she does not recognise her room, her belongings and the other residents or staff or even family members at times who she sees on a daily basis.

My mum regularly asks to go home and I think those could be the times when she is thinking back to many years ago and old times. I always try to reassure my mum by pointing out her name on her door to prove it is her room, or get out items of clothing from her wardrobe or show her familiar photos.s However, very little reassures her now and I find it is less frustrating all round to just be kind and patient but use a distraction method. All this is just part of the disease. You are not alone in your experiences and it is very difficult to manage. Good luck and take care. xx

Lynne rob

Nov 26, 2014
Hi my mum does it too. It's called cap gras syndrome. My mum confuses her home and my dad with an exact copy if them. She has lost the emotional attachment to them. Try googling it sorry I can't link off my phone x

Jane898

Mar 28, 2015
Thanks to everyone's response to this feed. The situation has got worse my mum now "escapes" from the house I find myself leaving work early to go and find her I will have to go social services or find some help