Mum falling asleep

Buddy

Sep 11, 2011
Following my Dads recent death we have had to move my Mum into a care home. They both lived with us for 12 years and my Dad was her main carer. She does not understand that my Dad has died and asks for him a lot, we have resorted to telling her he is at work, which settles her. She has settled really well into the care home and they are brilliant with her, there is lots going on and she seems very happy. In the last few weeks she has suddenly started to fall asleep without any warning, it is then really difficult to rouse her, she has also started to store food in her mouth, chewing it for ages then wanting to spit it out or sometimes she heaves and is sick. We are not sure if this is a progression of her Alzheimer's or something else. I wondered if anyone had come across these behaviours also.

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Sadly, Buddy - yes. My husband's swallow slowly became more compromised and he often "pouched" food and then when I least expected it - spat it out usually scoring a hit somewhere on me. He did it with medicines as well - especially liquid ones. Eventually his diet changed to a softer and then finally liquidised one when we could get him to eat something. He too sometimes seemed to be sick but I suspect it was just food he was unable to swallow as the reflex became weaker so it came back up instead of going down. Regurgitation rather than vomiting . The sleepiness is also a progressive symptom of dementia - so do not be unduly worried if some days your Mum sleeps more than you feel is usual. Sad times for you and family - will be thinking of you all WIFE

Buddy

Sep 11, 2011
thank you for your advice, we suspected it was down to her Alzheimer's, but it's so difficult because she has gone through a lot of change recently and we feel she is deteriorating faster now that my Dad is no longer constantly at her side as good as the care staff are it's impossible for them to give the support to the same level as he did and in some ways he often masked the degree of deterioration as he often spoke for her. It's so sad because I think she will now go downhill much faster, but she is happy and that's what matters.

Last edited: