Mum, Dad, Alzheimer's & Me Channel 4

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
The only part that disturbed me was when the daughter said how long they have left with her Mum 6/7 months ....who on earth told her this
I agree totally with what you say.

The person concerned looked far less damaged by dementia than my Jan did 5 years ago.

I imagine the quote was put in for dramatic effect, or the daughter was just talking randomly. There may be facts we don't know, of course - these programmes are necessarily a distillation of a lot of material.

For my part, I only wish things WOULD develop that quickly once past a certain stage. It is the not knowing how many years of slow decline the poor person has to suffer - even to the decade - that is most difficult, for me.

DianeB

May 29, 2008
nottinghamshire
Exactly Bruce, thats what i was thinking. In fact looking at all the sufferers I didn't see anybody who was at the stage my Mum is, which suggested me to me what I have thought for a while, Mum is now enetering leaving the 6th stage and entering the last stage.
This is the problem with AZ no two cases are the same and the paths they travel can be very different.
One part which I thought was important that they included was the aggresion and violence that can come with this illness. This is often not talked about much and although this does not affect my Mum I am very aware that it does happen, in fact there are a few residents in Mums home that unfortunately have this and it is upsetting seeing them when they are disturbed.

I wonder if Fiona will do any follow ups. I personally feel there should be more programmes like this.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Quote:
The only part that disturbed me was when the daughter said how long they have left with her Mum 6/7 months ....who on earth told her this

A jarring note I agree. Have never known anyone given a time span - how do they know. Yes at any stage there can be rapid deteriation where you feel that no one could go one like that, but usually things plateau out.

Lionel was formally diagnosed as 'end stage' 18 months ago. I can see him going on for a long time yet, thank goodness.

Lucy emme

Jan 11, 2009
Bristol
So sad

I cried and cried.
I was very touched as the mother and daughter were in the park together.
It also gave me great hope as I now see no reason that my Mum cant come home from the unit she is in to be cared for by myself and Dad.
Well done Fiona

gill@anchorage5

Apr 29, 2007
Southampton
Follow up

I thought the programme was very well done and that Fiona was very brave to document it. It was obvious how much she loves her Dad and I found the programme very moving.

Sadly my own lovely Dad is further advanced than the sufferes shown on the programme last night, but appreciate that they couldn't cover everything in a one hour programme. I too hope that she may consider doing a follow-up programme. Anything which raises awareness of this dreadful illness has to be a good thing.

Our local radio station (BBC Radio Solent)did a follow-up feature on the programme this morning and I was invited to take part as a local full time carer. The interview was actually quite short & I didn't say half the things I wanted to say, but I did recommend Talking Point and so hopefully spreading the word!

Kind regards to all

Gill x

Michele

Oct 6, 2007
I watched this last night and I am really pleased I did. It was great for my husband too because he was able to understand more of what I have been going through with my mum.

It was great for me as well because I realised that my mum is one of the lucky ones who comes under Southampton, even though I don't feel any of us get the help we need.

Can someone though explain to me what early onset alzheimers is, I am a bit confused by this. My mum has early to middle stages.

xxx

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
early onset Alzheimer's is also known as young onset - ie happening before age 65 - often decades before.

Some people use the terms differently ie not early = young, but that is my understanding.

my personal view is that there are very many more young onset people than is recognised even by Alzheimer's Society

myheadisinaspin

Nov 6, 2008
marlow bucks uk
i watched too through tears and tissues. what shocked me (we are in early stages with mum 62) was that early onset sufferers decline faster and it was slightly confusing when they said 6-7 months left to live. is there a time scale and does the earlir it starts the sooner it all ends, i do hope not.

Sooe

Nov 10, 2008
Missed

Sugar missed these, but just as well, or I would be joining you all in all those tears! Someone should be listening and doing to help both victims of this horror illness and the carer's. Life is just so hard for us all. Keep shouting everyone, one day someone just has to listen!!

Luv Sooe xxx

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
Excellent programme told it how it is. Wish it could be shown on all channels and hope they repeat it soon.

Linda

silly_moo

Jan 13, 2009
Mum & Dad, Alzheimer's and Me!

I have watched the program this morning at Uni. We were shown it by a lecturer who was deeply moved by it, I was too.

I have an interest in Dementia as I am hoping to work in the Older Peoples team when qualified, also I worked with a number of sufferer's (sorry if this is wrong terminology to use!) on my first year placement.

I was shocked as were some other students at the lack of recognition of care needed for the sufferer and their carers (whom I feel need a medal, my opinion anyway! ;))

I acknowledge that this maybe due to perhaps budget contraints and as mentioned lack of recognition. I endeavour to do my best in my professional capacity (acknowledging as meantioned constraints and budgets) to do my best when Ihave to work with such cases.

All the best to you all,

Moo.x

Cooke179

Jan 3, 2009
Portsmouth
I also watched it. It was very moving. I am now very frightened as to what help we will be given for dad as we also live in Portsmouth.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Cost of Medication

I've just remembered something that made me gasp in last night's programme:-

The daily cost of dementia drugs is less than that for indigestion drugs.

Not to trivialise indigestion, which can be very painful, but does anyone know if this is true?