mum coming on holiday with us

ethel

Jan 14, 2012
devon
Hello I feel I should introduce myself to the forum as I have replied to some threads,but mostly I have read with much interest how so many of you have greater problems than myself (at the moment)!! i am an only child but I have a lovely husband and son and daughter all living at home Mum lives with us in her own apartment and thats where it starts because she doesn't realize how lucky she is to have someone here at all times.She has vascular dementia in the early stages and in total denial, but the worst thing is when she accuses me in not telling her things :mad: also she smokes and that in itself is really worrying because she goes into heavy sleeps during the day and sometimes its hard to wake her, does anyone have this experience?
We are going on a cruise this week and taking Mum with us, its the only way as she isnt bad enough yet to go into respite but cant be left on her own 1st and last time I think. although I am concerned as I think she will be very confused with different surroundings just hope it doesnt make things worse while we are away. Thank You in advance for reading this, I really feel tp is a lifeline and helped me already in understanding this awful disease.

frazzled1

Aug 25, 2011
london
hi there,

I hope you have a fantastic time on the Cruise holiday all together. I think this is the most fantastic way to go on holidays together as extended family as everyone gets a break, a change of scene (and so many! wake up in different countries on different days!). Wheelchair access is everywhere which is pretty unique experience in itself and there is so much to see and do and enjoy, both in daytime and evenings. You just do as much or as little....as you wish! Enjoy and please send us all a virtual postcard!!!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
We never did a cruise but we took my late mum on holiday with us many times. We stopped going abroad as she got older (she was 93 when she died in July) and as her vascular dementia progressed. We still went many places in Scotland and England with her. I won't say it was easy but it was worth every minute of it. She loved her holidays and we just had to adapt as we went along the dementia road.

Now I'm doing the same with my husband who has Alzheimer's. Our days of holidays to India/Morocco etc etc are gone I fear but we will still go abroad (just somewhere nearer) as long as we possibly can.

I now feel much better about telling the people in the hotel etc that Bill has Alzheimer's it does help to pave the way if there are any difficulties. You may have already decided to do this re the cruise but if not I would give it some thought.

Good luck and bon voyage. x

ethel

Jan 14, 2012
devon
Thank You for your reply, Mum is 85 and i dont think will be going abroad with her again, I really hope she enjoys this holiday but at the moment she is so confused and it hasnt sunk in yet that we are off in the morning.Hopefully by the time we are on the ship she will realize we are on holiday.As you say I think i will let as many people know about Mum so they can understand her condition.Thanks for the tip.Bye for now

We never did a cruise but we took my late mum on holiday with us many times. We stopped going abroad as she got older (she was 93 when she died in July) and as her vascular dementia progressed. We still went many places in Scotland and England with her. I won't say it was easy but it was worth every minute of it. She loved her holidays and we just had to adapt as we went along the dementia road.

Now I'm doing the same with my husband who has Alzheimer's. Our days of holidays to India/Morocco etc etc are gone I fear but we will still go abroad (just somewhere nearer) as long as we possibly can.

I now feel much better about telling the people in the hotel etc that Bill has Alzheimer's it does help to pave the way if there are any difficulties. You may have already decided to do this re the cruise but if not I would give it some thought.

Good luck and bon voyage. x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max69