Mum care plan

jelba

Aug 1, 2012
Huddersfield
Who would be the best person to find out when my mum care plan was reviewed never seen a care plan since she moved into her new home around a year ago . My dad remembers signing something about a few months ago but don't know if it was that going to visit mum weekend would the nurse know thankyou

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
The nurse will be able to show you the care plan and tell you when it was last reviewed.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Jelba has guardianship so should be given access to the care plan by the home. I think one of the responsibilities of the role is to ensure that the care plan is regularly reviewed.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Guardianship is needed if an LPA wasn't obtained prior to the person losing capacity. An application is made via the OPG and the court appoints a deputy to manage the persons affairs. This is usually in respect of financial matters - it is rarely given in relation to health/welfare. An annual report needs to be submitted, and this asks when the care plan was last reviewed.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hi @jelba Do you have health n wealth fare poa? My experience has been , if you don’t the NH won’t share this with you

Even if you don't have an H&W LPA, under the Mental Capacity Act if someone has lost capacity care etc has to be carried out in their 'best interests' and families can have input into this care, even if they don't get an actual copy of the care plan:

if it is practical and appropriate to do so, consult other people for their views about the person’s best interests and to see if they have any information about the person’s wishes and feelings, beliefs and values. In particular, try to consult:

– anyone previously named by the person as someone to be consulted on either the decision in question or on similar issues

– anyone engaged in caring for the person

– close relatives, friends or others who take an interest in the person’s welfare

– any attorney appointed under a Lasting Power of Attorney or Enduring Power of Attorney made by the person

– any deputy appointed by the Court of Protection to make decisions for the person.

• For decisions about major medical treatment or where the person should live and where there is no-one who fits into any of the above categories, an Independent Mental Capacity Advocate (IMCA) must be consulted.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I don't have H&W LPA, just financial, but the care agency sent me a full copy of my mother's care plan. Now she is in a care home I've seen sections of her care plan on-screen and the manager talks to me about it, and the pharmacist rang me recently to update me on my mother's medication. I don't think there is any particular reason a CH or agency wouldn't let you see a care plan as NOK, it just depends on their individual policy.

Juliematch

Jun 24, 2017
I had never seen Dads care plan.When he moved from a respite home to a permanent home the plan just went with him.On Monday he was taken into hospital and the new home gave me his plan to take with me.It was all wrong and could have resulted in a major problem.He was down as diabetic which he’s not,of having a stroke which he didn’t and there was no COPD listing which is very important as he gets lots of chest infections.I spent the whole ambulance trip to hospital putting it right. When he comes out Im going to make sure I get to see the new one. Jelba. I don’t have lpa for health and I have never had trouble with Drs or consultants.I think it’s all according where you are. I hope you manage to see the plan and advise anyone else to check and not have a shock like I did.

jelba

Aug 1, 2012
Huddersfield
Doing the annual report for my mum and that's the last thing I need to find out got court of protection people visiting my mum in a couple of weeks time