Mum care home

jelba

Aug 1, 2012
Huddersfield
Been 3 weeks since I seen my mum Last and finding things hard. I look after my dad who 73 and had a acute stroke. My dad thinks as carers can come and go he can visit care home also he doesn't believe that all care homes are closed to visitors. The company of my mum care home are looking for volunteers but if they can go in why can't we. Dad gets upset when news comes on and due to his stroke he doesn't fully understand what is happening in the world. He won't talk to no unless they ring us first. Care home does have a Facebook page but not updated much at all was told about Skype but nothing been set up for it. Feeling really depressed sometimes taking kalms tablets to help me with that. Can't get shopping delivered so have to go supermarket for us both. Dad also suffers from depression but luckily I been ferlonged from work but sitting with him watching quiz shows on TV not helping. Just wish this can be all over soon and normality can return to our lives

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
This sounds very hard for you. I think it best to avoid watching the news if possible. Does your Dad have any favourite films you could watch together or anything else he is interested in which would be more distracting? (jigsaws, for example, if he is able to do those?). Playing some favourite music may help to lift the mood. You could perhaps write letters together to send to your mum and enclose some treats or photos for her. Being outdoors is always good for lifting mood if you have access to a garden.

Keep us posted on how things are going and we will try to help you through this difficult time.

jelba

Aug 1, 2012
Huddersfield
Things are getting worse dad struggling more now plus getting pains in his stomach. Forth time I rang doctors in 2 still get pains now and then. Talks about death alot and worries about everything. I meant to be going back to work next week but he acute stroke has made his memory worse and now I'm getting tired I'm worried about my mum and dad and getting run down myself. He can't walk very far he gets tired after 15 minutes in the garden can't get no help if I get ill there no way my dad could cope on his own. He keeps thinking that care homes should not be on lockdown as staff come and go and so he should be able to visit. Also keeps saying he be better off dead which gives me the hump. Every day seems like groundhog day at the moment

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
So difficult for you @jelba
Can you get community volunteers to shop for you? We have got our local parish council delivering food to us. Its worth checking your local councils website and seeing what help they can offer.

Im guessing the stomach pains are due to stress if the doctors cant find anything.

jelba

Aug 1, 2012
Huddersfield
Got Dr appointment tonight at surgery for my dad but don't know if I be allowed in with him but wrote down on paper what his problem is want to get it sorted. Does anyone know about what the situation is in care homes as mum goes in a chair twice a week but seen on the news that 2000 care homes might be infected with the virus and mum has swallowing problems and is a risk to chocking don't even know care home got tests or ppe very confused about it all