Mum can stay where she is - questions to ask.

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
Mum has had a rotten year as regulars will know but since early Nov she has been at a really nice respite only home. She is settled (after 8 months in a poor care home, 3 weeks in one hospital and 8 in another). Its warm, she has a big bright ensuite room, the staff are well trained and friendly and the food is excellent and plentiful. Mum is self funding and I have not had to complain about one thing in all the time shes been there.

I have just been told that they are now going to offer just a few rooms as permanent beds and they have offered Mum one as shes already there, which I was thrilled about. Mum says she wants to stay. We had been waiting since August for a place in a particular nursing home but they still have no vacancies.

Ive had a couple of days to digest that news and have decided to meet the Manager tomorrow and just go over things before the paperwork is complete.

They dont offer nursing care but the staff are very good and have called the local GP out three times when they have had concerns about Mum. So I want to ask what would happen if they felt Mum needed nursing care. To be honest poor Mum is deteriorating mentally and is now pretty confused and sleeps no end but she is content and peaceful which she says is what she wants. Some days I look at her and wonder if she is preparing to close down. She is 93. She also struggles with changing her stoma bag but the staff will,always help if she asks but she seldom does. She is very independent. Mum has been through so much in the last year that I dont think she would cope with another move anyway.

Any suggestions as to what else I should ask tomorrow would be greatly appreciated as I SO want Mums remaining time to be in an environment where she is comfortable, peaceful and well cared for. Thanks.

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
I cant edit the title of my thread and I dont know where “to be honest” came from. LOL!

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Ask what they can’t cope with, the stoma they can obviously manage,
Your mum has been there three months, they know her and her needs, and if they are offering her a permanent place it implies they can manage her special requirements.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I cant edit the title of my thread and I dont know where “to be honest” came from. LOL!
"Report" your post asking for the title to be amended.

If they are happy to offer her a room they must think they can meet her needs. Should that change, they will let you know and you'll have to look for a new home so ask them how likely they think that is.

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
Meeting went well. manager asked whether we were happy that they were currently meeting Mums needs and I said we were. I asked what would happen if Mum worsened and needed nursing care and she said they have the district nurses calling in all the time and call the doctor if they have any concerns. I know thats true as they have called the GP in several times in recent weeks when Mum has been poorly.

She said if we preferred to send Mum to a nursing home they wouldnt be offended at all but she was giving me first choice on on the few rooms available as Mum is already in one. I said could we see how things go and I wouldnt say anything just yet to the nursing home we have in mind, so we would still be on their list.

I feel a bit more reassured now.

patilo33

Oct 12, 2011
Scunthorpe
Sounds good. Seem like caring staff. Yes, there's lots around. I've seen residents in care homes deteriorating, needing lots of care and continuing to live in the home. Compassion. Go with your gut instinct as to your mums future.

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
Sounds good. Seem like caring staff. Yes, there's lots around. I've seen residents in care homes deteriorating, needing lots of care and continuing to live in the home. Compassion. Go with your gut instinct as to your mums future.

thanks very much. My gut tells me we are doing the right thing.