Mum can’t write

Jac86

Mar 28, 2022
My mum has admitted that she can no longer write. Has anyone else experienced this with a family member? I’m just thinking if she needs to sign anything in the future, can something be set up so that my dad can sign on her behalf?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If she has capacity she can make an X and have it witnessed, although it will take some effort to persuade institutions to accept it, in the longer term she can grant a lasting power of attorney authorising an attorney to sign on her behalf.

If she lacks somebody will have to apply for a court of protection deputyship.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Yes - it's just awful. Mum was in a care home by the time I discovered it but I remember feeling devastated. Same with being unable to tell the time. It's just one of dementia's horrible milestones.

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
It seems to affect us all differently. I can no longer touch type. I cannot read music and my handwriting is now indecipherable. I need help posting on forums.

slowly it get stripped away .................

Last edited:

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
At Christmas my husband asked me to buy a book of poetry that I’d like. He then took an absolute age to write in it. Amongst several mistakes is a message I treasure - to my darling wife with all my love ... That’s all I need to remember.

I doubt that he’d be able to do it now.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
It is little things like that that help in time to come. Today I found a photo on my phone of a Valentine’s bouquet of red roses that arrived “anonymously “ eight years ago. I still don’t know who sent them!?

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I always bought birthday and Christmas cards for dad to send and I clearly remember the time I gave dad a card to write on and he said to me 'what do I write. It was a big shock and I had to write it for him. I felt like I had been punched is the best way I can describe it.

SERENA50

Jan 17, 2018
I always bought birthday and Christmas cards for dad to send and I clearly remember the time I gave dad a card to write on and he said to me 'what do I write. It was a big shock and I had to write it for him. I felt like I had been punched is the best way I can describe it.
Hi

That sounds very familiar . I noticed a changed in dad's hand writing and he also asks what do I write? He can still text but that is limited to 'don't get me a paper' or similar - never any chatty things anymore and he never phones. He asked me this week how to cook a sausage. Might seem like a normal question but given that last week he had cooked sausages it is literally like the first time he has ever done it.

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
and so it goes on..........

My swimming coach tells me I would be best just going for a swim for enjoyment. My brain and body do not seem to coordinate now. I had hope to continue improving, but sadly not to be. I shall revel in the freedom the pool gives me rather than beat myself up about it. I count myself blessed that I can swim in an outdoor pool with untreated spa water three times a week. Yes it is chilly in the winter but few have the opportunity.